Chapter Thirty-Nine

Spring Break comes around quickly, and I haven't had a break from Drew and Danny's pestering. We're all going to get together over spring break, if it kills them.

When I told my mom about this, she was overjoyed. Probably since I've never had a group of friends to hang out with over spring break... But she went all do-good-mother on me and booked a cabin in the mountains for the group to stay in. I can't complain or say I'm not excited.

So, when the last day of school before spring break comes, it's packing away. From what I've been told, it's going to be cold. Snow will still be on the ground up there. I throw in all my sweatshirts and thick jackets and jeans. It's only a three day trip, but I'm guessing I'll need more than three pairs of clothes with the snow.

I hear a knock on my door. I stay where I am, looking at the door about ten feet away. I really don't want to stand up.

"Come in," I call.

A shake of the doorknob. "It's locked."

I let out a frustrated sigh, standing up unwillingly and walking to the door to open it.

Caleb stands before me, holding a Chemistry textbook. He hands it over to me, saying, "You left this in my room yesterday. Figured you'd need it."

"Thanks," I say with a smile. And a thought comes to my mind. "What are you doing over break?"

"Ah," he shrugs. "Nothing. Just hanging around here, I guess."

"Then go pack a suitcase," I say. "You're coming up to the mountains with me."

"And Brendan and Danny and Drew?" Caleb asks, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah," I smile. "It'll be fun, I promise. They're nice people."

He hesitates for a moment before nodding. "Alright, sure."

"We're leaving in an hour, go get packed now!" I say shoving him out the door. "Meet me down in the courtyard when you're ready."

He nods, then leaves at a quick pace. I'm glad he's coming. It'll give him a chance to see what I've been talking about this whole time. They are good people. He's just been on the wrong side.

*•*•*

When Brendan meets me down by his room, I drag my two suitcases along to the courtyard. I spot Caleb on a bench, holding a single suitcase beside him.

"Oh, right," I say, remembering that I haven't told Brendan the change in plans. "Um, I invited Caleb to come along with us... If you don't mind."

"Sure, why not?" He says with a smile.

When Caleb notices us, he walks up to us. We exchange a brief hello, then make our way out to the parking lot. Brendan's car is luckily in the second row of cars. I don't think I could pull these suitcases much further than here.

Once we're all situated, suitcases in the trunk, Caleb sitting in the back, and Brendan and I up front, we begin our four hour journey.

This is probably the most awkward car ride of Caleb's life. Brendan and I are up front, holding hands, and talking the entire time. I try to bring him into the conversations as much as possible, but I can tell he feels weird about it.

By about the second hour, I'm dead asleep, my head against the window.

*•*•*

"So, Brendan, you and I have never really talked much."

"Not really. I think we should work on that, actually. Lili would like that."

"Yeah. Um, about Lili actually... You know she's my best friend, right? And I just want to make sure she gets the best... And you're back together with her now."