Chapters 14 & 15 Brendan's POV

Why was it ever recommended to have fake dating in the article?

Now that I think about it, that's a terrible idea.

It might sound petty or immature, but I want to rip Lili right out of that position just for my own sake.

But the more that I think about it I realize, there's more than just that. Maybe she's naive about Drew, but I know him. I know all the girlfriends he's cheated on or tossed away when he finds someone new.

I have to save her from him.

I immediately know what has to happen. I stand from my couch in the living room and walk over to the office where my mom sits, typing away. I stop in the doorway and knock on the edge of the opened door.

"Come in," she says, not looking up.

I do, standing by the edge of her desk. How can I possibly start this conversation?

"What do you need?" She asks.

"I need you to remove Lili from the article," I say quickly.

She stops, looks up at me, and raises her eyebrows. "You expect me to take a member out of a halfway completed article and have to start over from scratch?"

"Yes," I say.

"Well, now I'm curious," she says, leaning forward so her elbows rest on the desk. "What's this sudden notion about?"

"I... She isn't doing as well as I planned. I want a new girl in there for Drew's girlfriend. She's not a good actress under pressure. We need someone better," I say.

"Okay," she seems suspicious of me still. "I think she still suits the spot as photographer, of course."

"No," I say quickly. "No, that's part of the plot of it all. The photographer, the unlikely one, starts dating Drew. That's how it's got to be."

"I thought you were fond of this girl," my mom says, tilting her head questioning.

Yes, I think. And that's exactly why this has to be done.

"Whatever you think," she says. Then she sighs. "Lucky for you, I think I have just the girl. She's a new intern at the magazine company, actually. Cute little blonde."

"Fine, yeah, thanks," I say. Then she just gives me this curious look again, as if she's trying to figure me out. "I'll call a meeting for later. Let's do this as soon as possible."

I leave the room without another word. I don't want to be questioned further.

I quickly type in the message before I have to drive myself to school.

'Mandatory meeting today at 4.'

I send it to Drew, Danny, Missy, and Karen instantly. My finger hovers above Lili's name. She's going to be devastated. She's probably going to hate me.

She'll have to see it from my point of view at some point, won't she?

I send it to her as well, putting my phone away in my pocket.

*•*•*

"Brendan, this is Mandy," my mom says when she gets back from work.

I nod to her with a half-smile. She's a pretty girl, anyone would say, I'm sure. It wouldn't be honest to say she isn't. She's got such blonde hair that it's almost white, and it falls to her waist in ringlets. She wears a white sundress and golden sandals.

She smiles at me in response.

"I've explained the expectations to her," my mom continues, "and she's agreed to be a part of this."