Chapter Twenty-Nine

The Masquerade Valentine's dance comes sooner than I would have expected. It's been three weeks since I've asked Brendan. I went dress shopping about two weeks ago with my mom. I found a beautiful teal knee length dress and silver heels.

Brendan has taken it upon himself to take us out to dinner on him even though this is a girl's ask dance. My protests had no effect on him.

So, it is decided that he will pick me up from here at seven o'clock.

At the moment, it is 6:43 and my mom is rushing to finish curling my long blonde hair and pinning it up. While she does that, I hurry and put on some makeup and perfume. Last minute ladies, we are.

I almost forget, but I throw a white mask into my purse.

When finally everything is finished, my mom decides she needs a ton of pictures of this exciting moment or whatever. I endure it with a fully forced smile.

Finally, the knock on the door comes.

I straighten up immediately, wide eyes staring at the door. My mom pats my shoulder as if telling me to go open it. I take calming breaths until I reach the knob and then finally I open it.

It isn't Brendan.

It's Caleb.

Caleb? I thought he never wanted to talk to me again. I thought he would never forgive me for joining the Cheddar Rolls. What's he doing on my front porch?

And why is he in a suit and tie?

This is going to be really awkward if he thinks he's going to the dance with me or something...

"Hi, Caleb..." I say slowly. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

He smiles at me. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I haven't been a good friend lately. And I want you to forgive me for that."

I stare at him for a few moments, surprised. Then I nod. "Yes. Yes, of course. Are you... Are you going to the dance?"

"Yeah," he says, then he looks away and scratches behind his head casually. "Uh, this girl in my English class asked me. Her name's Peyton."

"Oh, that's great, Caleb!" I exclaim.

"Yeah," he says. He looks away towards the road.

I see Brendan's car come into view. As soon as he parks his car, I smile in the direction.

Suddenly Caleb wraps his arms around me. I'm startled at first, staying still. Then I laugh and wrap my arms back around him too.

"Thank you," he says. "For forgiving me."

I awkwardly stand there with him for a few moments longer than necessary. I pull away before he does. He looks away, as if embarrassed. Then he nods to Brendan. Winks at me. And walks over to his car.

Brendan looks at me questioningly as he walks up to the porch. I smile at him.

"What was that all about?" He asks, eyebrow raised. He looks bothered.

"He wanted to make up with each other. Go back to being friends," I shrug.

"Friends?" He looks unsure. "He seemed a little friendly for a friend."

"No, that's just us," I say casually. Caleb and I used to have this kind of unbreakable relationship. It might be unusual to others, but we were closer than usual friends. I'm glad to have that back. "I promise it's not like that."

"I wouldn't blame you of that," he says. "I trust you."

Brendan looks amazing in his black suit and light blue tie to match my dress. He holds out an arm to me, which I take hold of, and we walk together to his car.