[47] CHAPTER REVIEW: Epistle (Teen Fiction)

Epistle by Ivashkov20

00 01 02 (Chapter Title)
Teen Fiction(Genre)
Secrets & Temptations(Themes)
First Person Past (inconsistent)
Suspense level (🌝🌝🌝🌗🌚)

---------------- 3.12.2021 -----------

Art is subjective and its delivery depends solely on its creator. It's always interesting to see how people execute that delivery. Yours was a unique take—to slowly build up the story through a series of small letters.

I'm not sure why you've selected this method, but I do think it's an interesting way to approach it. Each bite-sized chapter was easy to digest and read through. Because it focused slowly on the teasing of what happened, the tension is very high and rises with each new chapter.

That being said, I don't know if this will be a short story or a novel. If it is a novel, then all these chapters could probably fill one chapter and then the story goes from there.

As a short story, I think the current layout works well. The reason why I hesitate to cosign this method of delivery so easily is because it does cause a pause with each button we have to push. Yes, it does bring a sense of 'what's next' along with it, but if it was a scrolling mechanism, I could keep going to my heart's content and at whatever speed I chose. But because I must click, I'm forced to wait a few more seconds to receive my reward for reading--more insight into the story.

The MC is telling her friend about a chance encounter (that perhaps changed her life) and has chosen to do so with short messages. Again, I don't think this is bad. But I do also think this can be put in one area if you ever choose to go that route.

Please also keep in mind yet another possible downside to this method. We don't get to know much about the MC. Without knowing her, it's a bit harder to get emotionally invested. From what I read, I couldn't determine if that would be the case but I've seen similar situations before so that bears considering.

Your shortcoming is going to be style over punctuation. There's a certain way you wish to write. Your style is your voice so it's important to have that. Unfortunately, as you will need a native English speaker to help you polish, you'll also need to be super strict in letting him/her know how you want your writing to sound. Still, it is a careful style and I think even in its current condition of having typos, a reader can find enjoyment.

I see that this story is ongoing. I hesitate to give feedback to ongoing stories because it can sometimes do more harm than good, but I feel confident in saying that I think your story is unique and will be a smooth experience for a reader. The only worry is the grammar itself as the punctuation seemed all right.

Good luck with it.

Prologue?
Read

Does this need an edit?
Only from a strict proofreader. The punctuation itself seems solid. The plot is also established well.

Would I read on?
Yes/No. It's a new style of writing so I may have to get used to it. But it's not a cumbersome way to read and with so many things going the 'smaller' route now, music, drama, movies, maybe this is a new addition that will catch on fast.

If you found this review useful, please give this book a shout-out. It brings more eyes to it and goes a long way. Please consider adding your book to the "Speed-Dating Books" version of this book where others can get a sample of your work quickly. That service is also FREE.