[19] CHAPTER REVIEW: Gray Daze (Teen Fiction)

Gray Daze by DavidFoxx DavidFoxx

Back To School (Chapter Title)
Teen Fiction (Genre)
Winners & Losers (Themes)
First Person Present (consistent)
Suspense level (🌝🌗🌚🌚🌚)

---------------- 12.20.2020 -----------

This was a neat first chapter, filled with a lot of good info to give us some footing for this school and Kyle's everyday life. His personality flowed well and he's easy to like right off the bat (this is not always easy).

Though we don't get introduced to a lot of characters (this is a good thing), I will admit that they are very vivid. I'd say this is your strong-point, making the character voices distinct and strong. Child characters aren't easy to pull off, and even harder to like but your depiction of the little sister was also touching.

For a first chapter, it pulls us in, but there are a few things it lacks. The main thing is the conflict.

What is the problem?

The first chapter is supposed to set up the story for us by letting us know what is wrong, and what takes the MC from his/her everyday life and throws them into either magic, drama, humor, romance, hardship, etc. etc.

That is not present here. If the divorce was a real thing, then yes, that'd be the conflict. But as is, there is no clear conflict for us to root for the MC to overcome or for us to continue on to see if or how he pulls it off.

Most first chapters will also give us a hint of what's to come—what we can expect going forward: magic, mystery, mayhem. I can't say with certainty that I know what genre the book is. I chose Teen Fiction but if I'm honest, I don't know if that's really what it is.

But as I've mentioned, the strong characters will make this book a pleasant read. Kyle comes off endearing and smart. He's aware of his popularity and he doesn't flaunt it or lord it over others. He's a great MC to follow around and easy to fall in love with.

Now turn his world upside down...and let us watch.

Prologue?
Skipped. As a rule, I do not read prologues.

Does this need an edit?
No. There are some dialogue tag issues but for the most part, the punctuation is solid. The plot needs to be clearer.

Would I read on?
Yes/No. Without a clear idea of...
A. the clear conflict
B. hints of what's to come (quest, adventure, romance, power struggle)
C. a clear possible solution for the MC

...then I wouldn't be too eager to jump to the next chapter.

If you found this review useful, please give this book a shout-out. It brings more eyes to it and goes a long way. Please consider adding your book to the "Speed-Dating Books" version of this book where others can get a sample of your work quickly. That service is also FREE.