Layla

An Authors note before reading, I have not finished Chain of Iron yet so I do not know how it would end for James and Cordelia but I came up with this idea as I was reading the book and wanted to write it as soon as possible, so I do hope you enjoy this chapter. (Ps I really want James and Cordelia to end up together actually in love. I never stop squealing reading about them, they are just so damn cute and I swear I will riot and sue if they don't end up together.)

"You look ever so beautiful Miss Cordelia," said Risa as she finished tightening the corset of Cordelia's birthday gown which was a dark blue with embroded golden patterns by the hem. Cordelia did a small twirl "Risa you are too kind," Cordelia looked into her reflection of her dressing table mirror and put her fingers against the golden comb that was holding her hair together by the back.

Cordelia wasn't doing anything too special to celebrate her birthday today,No fancy Balls or parties at the Ruelle club just a morning with her husband James Herondale and meeting their friends: The Merry Thieves (Matthew Fairchild, Thomas and Christopher Lightwood) her soon to be parabati Lucie (James's younger sister) Anna Lightwood and her older brother Alistair at the park for a picnic.

Risa insisted on Cordelia to be all dressed up for the occasion even though Cordelia did feel extremely over dressed, she just didn't have the heart to tell her maid and family friend no.

Cordelia glanced at the necklace her husband James had given her on their 2 week anniversary of their wedding day: a pendant that was a shape of a globe, Cordelia had always dreamed of traveling, As she looked at it Cordelia bit her lip a little as she played with the golden chain that was around her neck, it seemed only yesterday since the couple got married but it had already been halfway through the year meaning that it won't be long until James and Cordelia would divorce and James would go to marry the one he truly loves and desires Grace Blackthorn, just thinking about James and Grace together caused an ache in Cordelia's heart with in every beat. She couldn't help but not want to have this marriage come to an end and that she wants James all to herself until Death does do them part, but deep down Cordelia knew that it wasn't the right thing to do, that herself and James had made an agreement to save her reputation when Cordelia lied about having James visit her in her bedroom so that James wouldn't get into trouble with the Clave as he really burned down Tatiana Blackthorn's house. Cordelia knew that she couldn't keep someone hostage and away from the one that they truly love it would be wrong and cruel.

Risa seemed to notice that something was troubling Cordelia (with being the Cairstairs family maid all of these years) "Cordelia What's wrong?" Risa asked she placed a cool hand onto Cordelias cheek and tucked a strand of Cordelia's red firey hair behind her ear. Cordelia looked at Risa and let's out a breath, putting on a smile. "Oh nothing Risa," she replied "I'm fine, I promise." Risa however did not look convinced or satisfied.

Cordelia walked out of her bedroom and was tempted to see if James was up yet or if he had remembered that it was her birthday today but she decided against this discion seeing that his bedroom door across the hall was shut and decided to go downstairs where Effie (The other house maid)had prepared breakfast.

As Cordelia goes into the living room she jumped,a little surprised to see that her husband was already up. He was sat next to the small table with a chess board,plates of all different kind of Cake and pastries,(from  Lemon tarts to Scones with double cream and raspberry and strawberry jam  and there was even pieces of Victorian sponge cake.) Just by looking at the delicious spread in front of her made Cordelia's mouth begin to water, and there was a tea pot with some sourcers.

"James..." Cordelia breathed out looking into James Herondale's beautiful Golden Amber eyes. James smiled brightly as he laid eyes onto Cordelia he got up from his seat and embraced her into a warm hug that made Cordelia's skin feel as if it was starting to melt. "Happy birthday Daisy," James said giving Cordelia a kiss on the cheek.(Daisy was a nickname James and his Sister Lucie gave Cordelia for as long as Cordelia had known the Herondales.)