Chapter 2

"You're sure?"

Sirius lets out an exasperated sigh, whispering furiously,

"No. I'm lying. Of course I'm sure you bloody idiot!!"

Peter winces when Sirius smacks him upside the head, rubbing his skull quickly while saying indignantly,

"I'm just asking a question!!"

Remus quirks a brow at Sirius. He doesn't notice, his eyes glued to Ravenclaw table. Gwen sits happily between a few of her friends, her head falling back as she laughs at something the Marauders can't hear.

"Did you forget that she was a Veela?" Remus wonders. He'd always been fascinated by the girl, if for nothing other than her uncanny ability to be one step ahead of the group of boys. The curiosity driven side of himself had nearly asked the girl what it was like to be a Veela. He'd never met anyone else that was technically a creature, not that she knew he was one.

"No," Sirius defends quickly. "She just looks so..."

"Beautiful," Peter finishes dreamily, sirius sending him a quick look of disgust.

"Ninnie Whitlock is not beautiful," He grunts. "She's a bloody narc."

Remus chuckles at his friends frustration, pointing out cheekily, "She's never once snitched on us. And she could have many times."

Sirius scowls, saying irritably while he elbows the boy on his right,

"Back me up, Prongs."

He glances at James out of the corner of his eye, sighing at the sight. He's staring at Gwen, his mouth full of food dropped half open.

"Prongs!" Sirius cries, making James jump out of his day dreaming.

"Sorry, what was the question?" He asks sheepishly, quickly gulping down his food and wiping his mouth on the back of his hand.

"Ninnie," Sirius says firmly, nodding his head in the direction of the girl. James nods, stewing silently before saying simply,

"Bloody gorgeous."

Sirius sighs, smacking his forehead with the palm of his hand.

"She's always been pretty, Sirius. You've just been too busy trying to outsmart her to notice," Peter says pointedly.

Sirius grimaces, grunting, "I don't like that she's always spoiling our plans."

"Only when they effect her."

Sirius throws his hands into the air, crying out,

"Whose side are you on?!?"

A few students look up at the loud outburst. Including Gwen.

She looks at the bickering Marauders for a few brief moments before turning back to her food. She moves her dinner around aimlessly, smiling when Dorcas says lowly,

"I'm surprised you don't have holes in your forehead from how hard Sirius is staring at you."

Dorcas Meadows was absolutely undeniably brilliant. She was one of the few friends Phoebe had within her house, used to being scorned by the bookish members. Dorcas was different. Kind and funny and smart without being a know it all.

Gwen let's out a snort of laughter, shaking her head as she replies, "They're probably just planning how to try to piss me off next."

Dorcas smiles at her friend, asking curiously, "Why don't you ever tell a teacher?"

Gwen grins, winking mischievously as she laughs some more, "Because it makes them nervous that I don't. It's very funny, Dor. You should give it a try."

Dorcas chuckles, shaking her head. For a Ravenclaw, Gwen was quite cheeky. She had always been rather plain, reserved. Quite well liked, but hard to approach for some. But when Dorcas finally got her to open up first year she'd realized what a force Gwen was. The only reason she wasn't blindsided by Gwen's transformation was because they frequently visited each other over summer break, their other friends too busy traveling.

"Did you get your time table yet?" The Veela wonders.

Her brown haired friend nods, her short hair bobbing up and down at the motion. She pulls the paper out of her pocket and lays it on the table, smiling as Gwen spreads out her own.

Gwen wrinkles her nose at her friends classes, asking incredulously, "Why would you take these?!"

Dorcas flushes and mumbles, "Flitwick said I could. At least we'll have charms together!!"

Gwen groans, praying silently that Lily or Marlene be in her classes. Dorcas was taking things like Arithmancy and Ancient Runes while Gwen decided to stick with things like Herbology and Defense against dark arts.

Dorcas smiles sympathetically before she waggles her brows and teases,

"Maybe Black will be in your classes."

"Oh goody," Gwen replies sarcastically. "Maybe he can help me with my homework."

"He's not the only one that looks like he wants to help."

Gwen looks up at her pointed words, her cheeks warming when she realizes that people are looking at her. Staring, rather. This was what she feared. Standing out, being noticed. Her chest grows tight and her palms sweaty. She feels sick when she sees Gilderoy Lockheart blatantly staring at her while he eats. What a prick.

"Don't worry, Gwen," Dorcas says gently. "I'm sure the novelty will wear off...but you have to understand. You're practically a new person."

"But I'm not," Gwen insists, chewing nervously on the inside of her lip. "I'm not different. It's just my hair!"

"And your eyes and your body...you're a Veela. It's showing."

Gwen sighs at her friends words. She's trying to be helpful, but it just makes her panic grow.

Dorcas must notice because she quickly changes the subject, saying cheerfully,

"Come on, Gwen. Let's go see who we're bunking with this year."

The Veela smiles faintly and nods, climbing to her feet and following Dorcas out of the great hall. They chat aimlessly as they climb the stairs, Gwen griping about the distance to Ravenclaw tower while Dorcas just laughs.

They finally round the corner of the fifth floor. Gwen smiles to herself and grabs Dorcas' arm, pulling her out of the way just in time.

Black sludge falls from the sky, causing Gwen to wrinkle her nose when it hits the ground with a disgusting squelch.

"Damn!"

Heads poke out from behind a nearby statue. Remus has the decency to look embarrassed. Sirius however is fuming, a small frown on James' face as he looks at the mess in disappointment.

Peter pipes up rather excitedly,

"Hello, Gwenyth!"

Gwen smiles before she can stop herself, holding back laughter as Dorcas stares in awe at the scene before them.

"Hiya, Pete. Did you have a good summer?"

The mousy boy flushes a deep red and nods quickly, stumbling over his words before he finally spits out,

"Yes! A-and yourself?"

Gwen just grins, saying cheerfully, "It was something. James, Remus. You're alright I take it?"

Remus smiles warmly at the girl and nods while James just stares, distracted by her very different appearance.

She raises a brow, laughing uncomfortably,

"I'll take that as a yes. Excuse us."

The Ravenclaw girls smile and wave as they pass, heading straight to the door that hides their common room and slipping inside.

James grins goofily, saying, "Reckon she likes me?"

Sirius just scowls, staring irritably at the failed prank before them.