Chapter 126

{{I didn't edit so don't hate me for any mistakes}}

Gwen hums quietly while she sucks on her acid pop.

Fleamont sits close by, the two of them reading peacefully while the boys wreak havoc outside. Mia had insisted they take their pent up energy to the garden, Gwen managing to get out of their game of quidditch by faking a yawn and pretending to go take a nap.

Little did they know, she and Fleamont were enjoying the peace while occasionally chatting and munching on cookies. Or in her case, acid pops.

The elder wizard glances up and surveys the Veela reading her witch weekly, musing quietly, "I take it your mission was a success."

Gwen's eyes slowly lift from the gossip section, quirking a brow at Fleamont. She hesitates, doubt flooding her about what Dumbledore would have her say. As if he can tell what she's thinking, Fleamont smiles and says lowly, "You're not the only one that has a reason to fight, Gwen."

Gwen's lips twitch and she returns to her magazine, saying flatly, "I'm just glad I'll have someone to sit next to at boring meetings."

Fleamont barks out a laugh and nods, confirming her suspicions. He was a member of the Order. Likely Mia as well. Gwen smiles and bites back a laugh of her own, feeling a surge of relief. She wasn't the only one with secrets. He winks when he catches her glancing his way, holding his tea cup up. She grins and clinks her empty cup against his, chewing quite contentedly on her sweet until it's gone.

"Care to see a trick, Monty?" She wonders, pulling the white stick from her lolli out of her mouth. He looks up from his book, eyes widening when her palm where the stick rests turns orange. The white stick turns to dust, flames flickering until the circles her fingers into her palm. When she opens again the flame and cinder is gone.

Fleamont grins, leaning forwards to inspect her palm. He straightens his glasses and teases, "That's great and all, but did you create the most famous potion for hair?"

Gwen laughs at his comment, shaking her head. She'd never had a dad. If she did she hoped he'd have been like him. Her lips twitch and she replies, "No, I've never done anything that cool."

He chuckles, saying knowingly, "There's time."

Gwen blinks at him, a strong surge of affection causing her to part her lips to say more, but loud footsteps interrupt her. She appraised Sirius silently when he appears in the drawing room, panting and grinning happily. Sweat sticks a few strands of his hair to his forehead despite the winter cold.

She sighs when he heads towards her, her face unmoving when he scoops her up and throws her over his shoulder.

"Come on, Inferi!" He crows, carrying her out of the drawing room. Fleamont follows to watch the scene unfold, rather amused by the contrast to their personalities. He and Mia stand in the hall and watch as Sirius sets the Veela down.

"You're coming outside," Sirius says simply, grabbing her hat and pushing it down over her head. He rolls his eyes when Gwen replies boredly, "No, thank you."

"Yes, thank you," Sirius mocks teasingly, grabbing her coat. She stands limply, so he's forced to lift her arms one by one to pull them into the sleeves before he zips up the coat. She sighs again and quips

"Only if you can answer my—"

"Nope!" Sirius interrupts, earning a chuckle from Fleamont and Mia when he continues cheekily, "No more bloody riddles."

Gwen's shoulders slump disappointedly, it becoming rather clear that she was going outside whether she liked it or not. She shoots Fleamont a flat look when Sirius crouches down and pulls her feet into some wellies. The elder wizard merely shrugs and offers her a smile. Mia grins and gives Gwen a thumbs up, scolding Sirius, "If you're going to force her to go outside with you hooligans, let her say her riddle."