Chapter 152

{{Surprise update! Earlier than I planned but I didn't want to wait. Gwen is kind of a baddie....I love her. Anyway, ENJOY!!}}

Gwen hated studying.

Even with Dorcas' help, or James' encouragement, or the bribes that Sirius had tried so hard to convince her with. Studying was her least favorite thing to do. And everyone was doing it.

Even Peter was on their side. A complete traitor.

The last straw was Regulus, Remus and Lily practically trapping her in a classroom and droning on and on about the importance of exams for the future. Gwen already had her future planned. And it didn't warrant perfect grades.

So she'd resulted in hiding. First, she had kidnapped the Marauder's map so they couldn't find her. It had been surprisingly easy to avoid them, even Sirius. There was only one person she couldn't hide from. Rather, one being.

Gwen merely smiles when her eyes are suddenly covered, blocking her quiet view of the owls sleeping around her.

"I wondered when you would find me," She says simply.

Cheeky laughter erupts around her and her vision returns just as her poltergeist friend cheers, "Witty Whitlock avoiding her studies!!!!"

Peeves. Perhaps her favorite friend now.

He floats just in front of her, a rather mischievous grin on his face. He reaches out and flicks her nose, wondering, "Avoiding studies, or avoiding your buddies?"

Gwen just smiles and replies simply, "Both."

The poltergeist erupts with laughter, rolling around in the air and waving his arms. Gwen can't help but feel a prickle of sadness. This was the moment where it was beginning to set it. She'd been to busy avoiding people and skipping her studies to realize that she would be leaving Hogwarts soon. And She wasn't sure she'd ever see Peeves again. She wasn't sure she'd ever see anyone else again.

The non being notes her silence and suddenly freezes, sitting upright and frowning down at her. It must hit him too. No more chatting while Peeves swims in the toilets, no more chess with Rowena's ghost, no more patting Mrs. Norris on the head when no one was looking. This was it. Her time at Hogwarts was almost at its end. After exams, she'd be finished with this part. And though she was fond of swimming, she wasnt ready to let her feet leave what was grounding her.

Hogwarts. The ghosts, teachers, the portraits and house elves and everything in between. It was what had grounded her for so long, kept her from floating into the sea of nothingness after her mother died.

She feels her smile wobble. She steadies herself, stands and says quietly, "I have to go."

Peeves tilts his head, asking halfheartedly, "Wouldn't you rather stay here with your pal? He can wait!"

Gwen's lips twitch, amused that the poltergeist knew where she was going. She hesitates before saying firmly, "I'll see you later, Peevsie."

The bells on his hat don't chime as he turns away, voice solemn as he replies, "I'll see you later, Witty."

Gwen just nods, quickly leaving the owlery before she gets emotional. She shakes her head to rid herself of the sad thoughts plaguing her, instead pulling out the map she had tucked away in her bag. She quickly mutters, rolling her eyes, "I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good."

Her heart picks up from the sad humming in her chest when her eyes instantly find the name she's looking for. She pauses for a brief moment, palms tingling as she stuffs the map back into her bag. Her feet move before she can decide where it is she wants to go, the darkening sky causing a green cast through the windows of Hogwarts.

The air is warm, clinging to her skin. When her sneakers hit the grass she continues on, another weird emotion tugging at her mind as she walks.

She doesn't hum, she savors the sounds of crickets and creatures that stream from the forbidden forest, the faint lapping of waves in the black lake.

She sees him, standing and staring at the quidditch pitch in the distance. She walks forward calmly, voice unassuming as she greets,

"Severus."

The Slytherin glances sideways at her, a sneer curled on his lips. He doesn't move though. Gwen grows increasingly grateful that she has the map, wondering what Sirius would say if he saw that she was talking to the boy that had handed her hair over to the dark lord.

Her lips twitch slightly and she can't help her smile when she asks, "Did you get any of the answers you were looking for?"

He turns to face her now, eyes wide with surprise. No attacks, no verbal or physical assault. Just calm. He shuffles uncomfortably, asking his own question, "Why did you give me your hair? Didn't you know—"

"That you would give it to Voldemort?" Gwen interrupts, not missing the way the Junior death eater stiffens. She peers out at the greenish clouds hanging over the quidditch hoops, her voice light as she continues, "It hadn't really crossed my mind. I suppose it makes sense though. You would've made a brilliant Ravenclaw, Severus. We often push the limits to get answers. If only you weren't so concerned with self preservation."

Snape bristles at her comment, at the fact that she isn't nearly alarmed as she should be. Voldemort knew who she was, a terrifying thought for most. It angers him, her flippant ness, her reserved attitude. And most of all, it angered him that he hadn't gotten the answers he'd been searching for. Why did Veela have the power they do... and where does it come from?

"You should be afraid,"

The claim hangs between them, curt and almost remorseful. Because even though he didn't care much for the Veela, a certain someone with hair the color of fire did. Someone he never wanted to hurt again. He jumps when she suddenly laughs, taking a step back from her. He's tempted to cover his ears to protect them from her charm. But then she wipes away a mirth induced tear and finally turns to face him. Head on.

Severus gulps and Gwen smiles, murmuring gently, "There are a great deal of things I'm afraid of, Severus. The primary one being that nasty cold you seem to be stuck with."

She holds up a hand to stop him from speaking when he glowers at her, her voice still painfully kind as she says, "I'm not afraid of someone knowing that I exist. I'm of little use to your Dark Lord. Because I will never give myself over willingly. Surely you've read enough about Veela to know what happens when they're forced to give themselves up?"

His dark eyes grow round and he hesitates before nodding. She would die. If anyone ever tried to force her to use her charm, if they stole her hair or her fire, Gwenyth Whitlock would die. Imperious curse, Veritaserum....manipulation of any kind didn't work on Veela, that much was certain.

And as much as he hates to admit it, Severus isn't sure that the universe would recover from her soul being snuffed out in such a way. But Voldemort had his ways, and the tiniest part of the Slytherin regretted ever informing his leader of the Veela in the first place. He hesitates before muttering in a strained voice, "He...He's watching."

She looks up at the sky, her lips poised in a smile that tells him that she knows a lot more than she lets on.

Gwen takes in a deep breath of fresh, spring air, her heart warming at the noises that dusk brings. Few things felt as good as Hogwarts in spring.

She relishes the feeling of standing on the quidditch pitch for what she assumes is the last time, her eyes closing and head buzzing with memories. Her fingers twitch slightly and her smile grows, voice unimpressed as she retorts to the waiting Slytherin watching her nervously,

"I'd be disappointed if he wasn't."