Chapter 172

Sirius frowns at the parchment grasped in his hands.

It had been just over two weeks since he had seen Gwen, heard her voice, held her in his arms. And while the time had dulled his anger, it hadn't taken his ability to understand her. At least as best he could.

This letter was different. Short, not as lovely. He reads it again, eyes tracing her looping letters. He feels a twist of worry in his chest at her matter of fact writing. For as blasé as she could be in person, Sirius cherished her letters because they were a little more emotive, a little more expressive. Not this one. This one almost seemed sad.

"Alright, Padfoot?"

Sirius quickly tucks away the letter, turning to offer Peter a stiff smile. James was the only one that knew Gwen was writing Sirius. Everyone assumed that she had accompanied the Headmaster for good reason. Minerva McGonagall had done a brilliant job quelling the rumors at the first Order meeting, only saying the Gwenyth and Albus were completing a task for the Order.

"Alright, Wormtail," Sirius replies, reaching out to ruffle is friend's hair. Peter flushed and swats his hands away, muttering, "You don't have to pretend to not miss her, you know?"

Sirius stares at him silently for a few moments, his words like a dagger to the gut. Sirius swallows around the lump in his throat before forcing a cheeky reply, "Are you joking? I'm enjoying the break from brain teasers and riddles!"

Peter just shoots him a knowing look before sighing and asking, "What are we doing here again?"

"James asked us to meet him," Sirius replies, shrugging before adding, "Something about big news."

"Reckon he's pregnant?" Peter teases, earning a snort from Sirius. The two begin their trek down the streets of Diagon Alley, peering at the various stands as they pass. Sirius' eyes linger on the jewelry vendor, his heart stirring suddenly in his chest. He quickly tears his eyes away before Peter can notice, his hands subconsciously moving to twist the gold ring on his finger. He feels a warm sensation spread from his hand up to his chest. She was okay. For now.

Peter and Sirius duck inside the Leaky Cauldron, instantly spotting James and Remus sitting at a table near the center of the room.

Remus waves them over, pints already waiting for them on the table. Sirius and Peter take the seats across from their friends, Peter asking suspiciously, "What did you put in our drinks, Prongs?"

"Nothing!" James swears, his voice wavering. Remus looks at him curiously, Peter still glancing fearfully at his drink. Sirius quirks a brow at his friend, staring at him silently until James finally bursts,

"I proposed to Lily and she said yes!"

The Marauders break into loud cheers, earning glares from the surrounding patrons. Sirius doesn't care, not while James is beaming so brightly. He laughs, reaching over to shake James' hand and tease, "I didn't think you had it in you, Prongs. Congrats!"

James is practically vibrating with excitement, Remus shouting for another round to be brought to the table. Peter can't resist standing quickly to hug James before hunkering back down in his chair, flushing when Remus and Sirius tease him.

Sirius can't help the excitement he feels for his best mate. He also can't help how it puts certain ideas of his own in his head. He smiles behind his  glass, cheeks warming at a very pretty picture of Gwenyth wearing a ring on her left hand. Someday. Someday soon.

Something else was coming soon however. Something that would cut short the festivities the Marauders were planning.

"Is that who I think it is?!"