Chapter 71

{{I know you guys are probably tired of filler chapters—but I'm sad and these make me happy. So there! Hopefully you enjoy :)}}

Sirius looks like he's going to explode with excitement when a loud 'pop' suddenly sounds nearby.

He peers up the beach, spotting three boys taking in the surroundings. Sirius grins when he hears James cry, "Padfoot!"

The boys all start running, Sirius meeting them halfway as they all cheer and dogpile into the sand.

"I can't believe this place," Peter says loudly, running out of oxygen from the Marauders piled on top of him.

"It's brilliant!" James agreed, quickly climbing up to help Peter before he really suffocates. Remus dusts the sand from his pants, eyes raking in the dunes and the water. He suddenly turns to Sirius and asks hopefully,

"Did she do it?"

Sirius grins and nods, replying happily, "She did. We swam for an hour yesterday. You should've seen it lads. I've never seen Ninnie that happy in my life."

The Marauders all feel a surge of pride. They'd unfortunately seen how much she'd feared the water. And how much she longed for it. To hear that she could finally touch it again was exciting for all of them.

"Where is Ninnie?" James asks, crinkling his nose as he looks up at the cottage. He quirks a brow when Sirius laughs and gestures towards to shore. The Marauders all turn, peering down the way.

The spot familiar blonde hair sitting at a table with an umbrella. James can see her magazine even from where he's standing, a cheeky grin appearing on his face. He'd missed his friend.

He takes off, sprinting away. Remus and Peter hesitate, looking sideways at Sirius. Their friend snorts and grunts, "Go on, I'll take your bloody bags inside."

Remus and Peter nod quickly before they start running too. They catch up to James just as he reaches the less powdery sand, their footsteps easier as they jog over to Gwen.

The Veela smiles and stands to greet them, laughing hard when the three of them pull her into a group hug.

"Ninnie, we missed you!" Peter cries, hugging the Veela tightly and flushing at the bare skin he touches. He hadn't expected her to be in a swim top. Remus swallows past the lump in his throat, emotional at the sight of her. He'd missed her a lot, missed her advice. They separate, well Remus and Peter do. James is still cemented to the girl, saying excitedly,

"Guess what, Ninnie?"

"What, James?" Gwen asks, not nearly as bored as she sounds. Fortunately they were used to it. He pulls back and grins down at her, saying proudly,

"You're looking at Hogwart's newest head boy!"

Gwen smiles up at him, an impressed look dawning her features. She squeezes his arm and says truthfully, "That's brilliant James! I'll bet your parents are proud."

The boy sheepishly grins and shrugs, replying, "They thought it was a joke. Couldn't believe it when McGonagall wrote Mum back and said that it was true."

Gwen laughs, patting him on the arm before saying happily and gesturing towards the table behind her, "Come sit you lot, I'll bet you're starving!"

Peter is already eyeing the spread, quickly taking a seat between Remus and James. Just as Gwen begins to sit, James notices something that has his jaw dropping. Remus follows his gaze, bringing a hand to his mouth to stifle his laughter. Hickeys. Tiny bruises sparsely decorating her neck and torso.

"Uh, Ninnie?"

She looks up from where she's started to put food on plates for them, quirking a brow at the boys. Peter is still flushed, James is gawking, and Remus looks like he's about to burst with laughter.

"Yes?" She questions, flashing a smile at Sirius as he walks up to the table. James snickers and says, "Looks like you two have been busy."

Sirius smacks his friend upside the head and goes to retort, but Gwen interrupts saying nonchalantly despite Sirius' protests, "we have."

James rubs the back of his head, his grin growing at the bluntness of the Veela. He loved her candor and how uncomfortable it made Sirius. So he continues on,

"How was it?"

"James!" Remus squawks, scandalized as Sirius scowls. Gwen just shrugs, saying bluntly, "Well we've only shagged here once. It was quite good though, I—"

"Fucking hell!" Sirius cries exasperatedly, looking at the Veela like she's grown another head. She furrows her brow, asking, "What? He asked."

James nearly chokes on his drink with laughter as Sirius turns red and shifts uncomfortably before he plops down in the seat next to Gwen's, grumbling to himself.

"As I was saying," Gwen says pointedly, passing Peter his plate with a wink before giving James and Remus theirs, "Just once. And then almost again this morning."

Sirius' head falls to the table, groaning as the three Marauders erupt with laughter at his expense. He looks up when he hears a plate set down in front of him, glancing up into her unnerving gaze. He sighs and asks, "Do we have to divulge all information, Ninnie?"

"It's fun to make you blush," She answers truthfully, a grin taking over her unbothered face when he reaches up and pinches her side. He rolls his eyes and grunts, "Sit down, Inferi. Let me get your drink."

Gwen sticks out her tongue but does as he asks, reclining in her chair as he stands and begins to fix her lemonade the way she likes, something he'd learned yesterday when she laughed at his confusion over the tray of lemons, water, and sugar syrup. She had to explain that this was how they made it here—Citron pressé—so people could choose if they wanted it sweet or tart.

Remus, James and Peter stare in awe at their gruff friend as he grumbles and squeezes lemons into a glass. Sirius Black had gone soft. James opens his mouth to call him out, but quickly clamps it shut when Peter sends him a pointed look. Remus is the one to speak next, smiling behind his glass as he says,

"Thanks for inviting us, Gwen. We hate to impose on your shagging."

She smiles and waves it off, replying simply, "I'm sure we'll carry on anyway."

Sirius' head falls, another gusty sigh leaving him as the boys laugh.

He can't pretend to be mad for long, not when he hands her the glass of lemonade and she pecks his cheek like it's the easiest thing in the world.

He tries to not melt into his seat as she begins chatting with the lads, asking questions about their summers.