Chapter 79

{{a triple update because I'm avoiding homework!}}

Gwen grins at the sight that greets her in the morning.

For as blunt as she could be, she was initially a little lost for words. Her conversation with Dumbledore the night before had wiped out any thoughts besides what she could do to help during the looming war. She'd certainly forgotten about her best friend. And her best friend's crush.

Gwen clears her throat, waiting patiently as she hovers next to Dorcas' bed. When her friend hadn't awoken before her, she was initially scared. Though pulling back the curtains had revealed quite a few things.

Gwen smiles when no one stirs, raising her wand to her throat and doing her best impression of McGonagall, her amplified voice screeching,

"20 points from Gryffindor!"

Marlene McKinnon tumbles out of the blue covered bed, landing in mess of frizzy hair and sheets on the floor. Dorcas shrieks loudly, flinging upright with wide and unfocused eyes. Both witches freeze at the sight of the Veela.

Gwen blinks at them, the two already flushed red and twitching nervously under her pale gaze. Marlene was beginning to understand why Sirius called her an Inferi.

"Good Morning," Gwen says nonchalantly.

"G-Gwen, I—We aren't—you," Dorcas stutters, earning a flat look from Marlene. The brunette quickly closes her mouth to avoid more jumbled words, both of them staring apprehensively at Gwen. Dorcas knew her best friend was unassuming, and very open minded. Gwen had been teasing her about her crush on Marlene for nearly two years. But Marlene was still unsure. So was Dorcas.

Gwen just leans down to hand Marlene her robes, voice bored and flat as always, "You've made me miss breakfast, so you'll be facing Sirius' wrath. At this rate we'll miss Defense Against Dark Arts."

Dorcas and Marlene gape at her as she turns and gathers her things, giving them ample time to quickly tug on their uniforms. They stare at her when she turns and asks plainly, "Well? Are you ready?"

They scramble to their feet and grab their bags, wordlessly following her out of the dorm and down the stairs. Marlene whispers nervously, "Sirius always jokes that she's a seer. Do you think it's true?"

Dorcas flushes and mutters, "No, I just think she saw this coming. She's been hinting at it all summer, I just didn't want to—"

Marlene gives Dorcas' hand a quick and reassuring squeeze to stop her rambling, flashing her a brilliant smile when her cheeks turn red. Their hands drop when Gwen peeks over her shoulder with a knowing smile. Their eyes widen, but not because Gwen is looking at them. Because Sirius Black has appeared out of no where and suddenly slung the Veela over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

"Ninnie Whitlock, I didn't take you for a pinky promise breaker," Sirius grunts, smirking when she sighs and relaxes over his shoulder. Her voice is as unbothered as ever as it floats to his ears,

"Sorry, Black. Other engagements."

He scoffs. Maybe a year ago he would've been mad. But he was getting quite used to Gwen and her mysterious ways. So he just retorts, "An engagement more important than eating breakfast with your boyfriend."

He grins when she merely says, "Yes, that's correct."

Gwen shrieks when his hand suddenly slaps her arse, finally fighting his grip as she chokes out, "Sirius Black!"

"Say it louder," He quips cheekily. "I don't think Meadows and McKinnon heard you."

"We heard," The girls say in unison, earning a glare from Gwen that makes them wince. Sirius snickers below her, finally setting her down when he sees the Marauders and Lily waiting just outside the DADA classroom. Gwen huffs when she finally returns to the ground, steadying herself with his hands.

He smirks at her narrowed eyes, teasing, "Got an Acid Pop on you, Ninnie?"

"Yes, and I plan to eat it right in front of you," Gwen replies, quirking a brow and fighting a smile when he groans. He leans down and pecks her cheek, mumbling, "I'll duel you for it."

"I hardly doubt we are dueling today," Gwen snorts, swatting at his hands when he wraps an arm around her shoulder and guides her into the classroom. She doesn't miss the way a few girls glare at her, but chooses to ignore it. Sirius can't say the same, bristling as soon as he notices Gilderoy Lockheart.

The blonde idiot perks up, saying excitedly, "Gwenyth—"

"Fuck off, Lockheart."

Gilderoy scowls but does as Sirius says, flushing when James and Peter erupt with laughter. Remus smirks and shakes his head, taking a seat at a table with Peter.

Marlene and Dorcas claim the table next to Remus, Gwen and Sirius taking the one behind. Leaving Lily. And James. The red head sneers at James and Gwen immediately feels sorry for him. But she grows impressed when James just takes his seat, not mentioning the one open next to him. Lily stares at him, shocked for a moment. Then she hesitantly sits next to him, still staring as he removes his book and his quill from his bag.

Gwen and Sirius both look away, hiding their smiles. Gwen gently elbows him and whispers, "Looks like our Head Boy may still get our Head Girl."

Sirius smirks and nods in agreement, slinging his arm around the back of her chair to play with the ends of her hair. He gently tugs, biting back a laugh when she shoots an exasperated look his way.

The new Defense Against Dark Arts Professor arrives a few minutes late, not that it bothered Gwen or Sirius. They were both rather content to not listen to the lecture portion of this class, relying on Remus and Dorcas for that information later. If they even needed it. Sirius was one of the top of the class without trying, alongside James. And while Gwen's grades didn't always reflect it, she was good at this class, rather enjoying it.

Today though, instead of listening to introductions and what to expect for the term, Gwen props up her book. Sirius peers over, lips twitching into a grin when he spots pages that are definitely not from a textbook. A magazine.

His heart swells when he realizes that this time it's not Witch Weekly, instead her eyes contentedly tracing the words of Quidditch Times.

For him. She'd picked this out for him. He chuckles quietly at her ingenuity, charming the pages to neatly stick inside her textbook. To the rest of the class, she could be happily reading about Boggarts. Instead, she lets out an occasional hum of appreciation as she reads about the Chuddley Cannon's motto being switched from "We shall conquer" to "Let's all just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best."

Gwen tilts the book so he can see, smiling to herself when she feels his fingers absentmindedly play with her hair while they pretend to listen.

Though Sirius doesn't read. Not when he can spend the rest of class watching her.