Chapter 98

Dorcas shivers and pulls her coat up higher, grumbling to herself as she slips on her red and gold mittens.

Gwen bites back a smile at the action, noting that her friend was definitely seeking out a particular witch flying in front of them. Regulus shudders on her other side, grumbling, "Merlin, it's fucking freezing."

Lily nods in agreement, leaning over Dorcas to ask, "Gwen, would you ask Peter to pass the cocoa?"

Gwen nods, leaning forward to inquire about the hot chocolate. Peter smiles warmly and passes it to Remus who then passes it to Regulus. The Gryffindor and the Slytherin share a shy smile before Regulus quick takes a sip of the hot drink before passing it to Gwen.

Remus chuckles and mutters, "You've got chocolate on your face, Little."

Regulus flushes and shrugs, smirking slightly before he swipes his tongue over his lips to rid them of excess chocolate. Remus grows warm under his collar and looks away, his eyes briefly catching pale blue that sparkles with perceptiveness. He flushes when Gwen clears her throat, nearly breathing out a sigh of relief when she asks flatly,

"How come Potter hasn't found the sodding snitch yet? I'm freezing."

Dorcas nods in agreement, peering out and smiling when she spots Marlene weaving around the pitch on her broom. The Scottish witch scores a goal on hufflepuff and the Gryffindor stands erupt in cheers, Gwen, Regulus, and Dorcas all cheering for the Gryffindors as well.

Gwen tries to not smile when Sirius flies by, batting a bludger away before blowing a kiss at the Veela much to his fan girl's disappointment. She winces when a Hufflepuff angrily rams into Gideon Prewett, sending him spiraling into Sirius.

They both right themselves on their brooms, shouting at Madam Hooch that it was a foul. Gwen nearly joins them but bites her tongue, instead turning to search the sky. She sees James hovering just above the Hufflepuff goal hoops, his eyes searching the sky for any flash of gold.

He looks defeated, tired even. The match had been dragging on for nearly two hours, not a glimpse of the snitch to even give him an ounce of excitement. Gwen hums to herself, her eyes drifting slowly to the left. Her lips twitch into a smile.

"Lily," Gwen says nonchalantly, blinking at her red headed friend. Lily quirks a brow, asking curiously, "What?"

"If Gryffindor wins will you ask out James?" Gwen inquires, her tone bored despite her obvious interest in the girl's answer. Lily flushes but grumbles, "Sure, Ninnie. Whatever gets us out of the cold faster."

Gwen snorts at the use of her nickname by the ginger. Instead of commenting, she catches James attention by waving her hand back and forth. He zooms over to the Gryffindor stands and Gwen begins to climb down a few to get to the edge of the box, saying plainly as she squeezes past disgruntled students, "Excuse me. Sorry, coming through. Move please."

James hovers just outside of the box. She finally gets to him, teasing, "Prongs, it's your lucky day." James laughs at the nickname and replies, "Ninnie, please tell me you've found it."

"I can't just tell you where it is, that's cheating," She says simply, grinning when he lets out an exasperated sigh before saying, "Fine. Go ahead."

Excitement makes her wriggle in her boots. She loved a good riddle, almost as much as she liked bothering James.

"I build up castles, I tear down mountains. I make some men blind, I help others to see. What am I?"

James stares at her blankly, looking very very confused. He mutters to himself, eyes floating around the pitch to look for anything that might answer her riddle.

"Castles...." he mutters, glancing at the wooden hoops and then the stands. He groans and asks tiredly, "Can I have a hint?"

Gwen laugh and nods, replying simply, "It's also on the beach."

James' brow furrowed for a moment but then he lets out a hoot of excitement. Sand. His eyes quickly move to the ground of the pitch, spotting a flask of gold above the sand that sits below the goal hoops. He speeds off, leaving Gwen to climb back up to where Lily is gawking at her and Dorcas is shaking her head disapprovingly.

"Little," Gwen says to Regulus. "Tell Dorcas to quit acting like my mum."

Regulus smirks as the Veela returns to her seat next to him, leaning over and asking Dorcas, "Meadows, when did your friend become a cheater?"

Remus chuckles and answers as Dorcas just sighs playfully, "When she started hanging out with a Slytherin."

Gwen laughs, her amusement growing as Regulus elbows Remus in the side and Peter starts cheering for the Slytherin, even helping Regulus wrestle Remus down to ruffle his hair.

They all freeze when they hear,

"POTTER HAS CAUGHT THE SNITCH! GRYFFINDOR WINS!"

The stands erupt in celebration, students thundering down to rush onto the pitch and cheer with their team. Gwen holds onto Regulus and Remus so she doesn't get lost, struggling to see over the heads of the students congratulating everyone.

She peers over Peter and sees Dorcas and Marlene wrapped up in a very tight hug, both of them smiling brilliant. She contemplates going over to tease the lovebirds, but then large hands grab her waist and haul her up into the air.

The Veela looks down at Sirius, smiling at his wind blown hair and pink cheeks. He grins and says warmly, "There you are."

Gwen laughs and wraps her arms around his shoulders, teasing, "Last years first quidditch match you were far less excited to see me."

"That's where you're wrong, Whitlock," Sirius replies, pecking her cheek before mumbling, "I just wasn't excited to see you talking and laughing with Jonathan Wood."

Gwen grins and strokes some of his hair out of his eyes, adding, "I also helped him win."

Sirius barks out a laugh and nods, relishing the feeling of her this close. Winning felt good. But nothing felt as good as holding her. Gwen squeezes his shoulders and says simply, "Today I helped you win though."

James pops up next to them, shocking them both from their sappy bubble. Sirius frowns when James grabs Gwen from his arms and swings her around happily, cheering, "Merlin, Ninnie! I think I might just steal you away from Padfoot! You're brilliant."

Sirius interjects, warning, "Prongs, you better—"

"Don't worry, Love," Gwen says simply. "I think James is going to be far more excited by what comes next."

James sets the Veela down, sharing an unnerved look with Sirius. Her boyfriend grunts, "Inferi, don't say things like that. It makes you sound like a bloody seer."

Gwen shrugs and says flatly, "Intuition, mon ange."

James takes a weary step away from the Veela, though they all turn when an angry voice yells,

"Potter!!"

Lily Evans is storming in their direction, red hair flying and green eyes flaming. James flinches as she grows close, jumping behind Gwen and shouting,

"Protect me, tiny being!!"

Sirius snorts and rolls his eyes, but he too begins to slowly shuffle behind the blonde. Lily comes to a stand still just in front of Gwen. When she gets a reassuring smile from her friend, the Gryffindor girl clears her throat and says firmly,

"Hogsmeade. I'll meet you in the courtyard tomorrow at 10:00. Don't be late."

James stares, shell shocked as Lily hesitates and adds, "Good job today."

And then she's gone, leaving Sirius and Gwen to steady him on his feet as he breathes dreamily,

"Lily Evans just asked me out."