Chapter 162

Sirius' scars start to burn at the sight of his father.

He's embarrassed to admit that he's still nervous, maybe even scared. His dad had done things to hurt Sirius that he didn't think a father was capable. A good one wasn't at least.

"James," Sirius mutters, earning his friends attention. "Go get Mum and Dad. Hurry."

James nods and quickly disappears, the tension amongst the remaining four growing suffocating and uncomfortable. The only one that wasn't on edge was Gwen.

Sirius glances at her and finds her smiling faintly, her hands tucked into her pockets and her body swaying slightly back and forth. Sirius knows he'll beat himself up over it later, but he shuffles closer to her anyway, grabs her wrist and pulls her hand out of her pocket so he can intertwine their fingers.

Gwen looks up at him, her pale eyes not hinting to him what it is she's feeling. Her smile grows softer and she leans her head to the side, her other hand coming up so she can point at her cheek. Sirius chuckles and leans down so he can press a chaste kiss to her warm skin, his worries fading slightly as she shuffles even closer, gives his hand a reassuring squeeze.

And then they're in front of them. He hadn't seen his parents in nearly two years. He's not surprised when they don't address him. He was no longer their son. That had been confirmed when Regulus told him they'd blasted his face off the family tree.

Sirius straightens up when he sees his father looking in his direction, but is alarmed to realize that Orion Black is not looking at him. He's looking at the Veela standing calmly by Sirius' side.

Wallburga speaks first, addressing Regulus in a clipped tone, "You have no idea the trouble you have caused me and your father."

Sirius quickly glances at his brother and finds that he still looks pale, though now his cheeks are flushed. Regulus stares at the ground as their mother lectures, "Do you realize that we've heard everything that you've been doing at that sorry excuse for a school? The Pucey, the Averys, the Carrows. They've been sure to tell us about your lack of interest in your house. You've made us the laughing stock of the sacred 28."

Regulus flinches, though Remus lets some of his Gryffindor bravery shine through when he says firmly, "Your son has been happier because of it."

Orion Black sneers at Remus, causing Sirius and Gwen to edge closer to their friend. The wizard scoffs, "I thought it had been Sirius corrupting his brother. Now it seems we have you to blame."

Wallburga snatched up Regulus' arm and says curtly, "Regulus, we are leaving."

Regulus Black had never once thought he'd fit in Gryffindor. He was quiet, cunning, and could sometimes be far more concerned with preserving himself than others. But this time, this time was different. His voice holds no quavering, only certainty as he replies, "I think not."

Sirius nearly grins at the look of shock on his parent's faces. Orion leans forward, whispering furiously, "Need I remind you that you made a vow—"

"I didn't," Regulus interrupts, his face stony with resolve. He'd been thinking of this day for a long time. And he knew what he wanted. Freedom.

"I never took a vow," Regulus says bluntly. "And there's no proof of my participation anyway."

Wallburga quickly shoves up her youngest son's sleeve, desperately seeking out the dark mark that had been there at the beginning of the year. Her face morphs into one of horror when she sees only a disfigured black splotch on his skin, lines running through it to distort it beyond recognition.

She suddenly whirls around and approaches Sirius, though her angry glare is pinned on Gwen. She reaches out to grab the Veela, but Sirius quickly swings an arm up and blocks her way, saying coldly, "Don't."