Chapter 154

{{is this story getting too long? I get scared that people will get bored. We still have lots to see and do—but I'm so excited to write the sequel :) Enjoy!}}

Gwen isn't surprised when the gargoyle that protects Dumbledore's stairs simply moves aside upon her arrival.

Unfortunately for those who tried, polyjuice potion never quite worked with Veela hair. Alas, there were no concerns that someone pretending to be Gwen would infiltrate the headmaster's office.

What is surprising, is the rather short wizard she runs into on the way up. Her lips twitch as Filius Flitwick stutters out an apology before looking up to see just who he has run into. His mustache soon reveals a smile, his voice steadying as he says, "Gwenyth!"

She'd tried for years to get him to call her Gwen. Even Miss Whitlock was less cringe inducing to the Veela than her full name. However, stubbornness seemed to be an unappreciated trait in Ravenclaws. Specifically the head of house.

"You haven't submitted your five year plan!" Flitwick accuses, pointing a finger up at his student. Every head of house held meetings with the students of their house to determine their future careers. Filius Flitwick however liked to take it a step or two further, proposing that each 7th year Ravenclaw write out their plan for the next five years of their life. Gwen had never liked writing. Or planning.

"I'm aware," She replies, unable to fight her smile at the way his brows furrow and his skin pinks in frustration. She was never his easiest student, but she liked to argue with Dorcas that she was his favorite.

"Gwenyth," Filius starts, poised to say something she was sure would be inspiring. She just didn't have it in her to listen, not when she wanted to get this meeting with Dumbledore over with and return to her rather handsome boyfriend. So she interrupts him, saying quietly, "Professor, my plan is to stay alive. I'd very much like if that is your plan as well."

The part goblin is stunned to silence, his eyes growing round behind his glasses. Gwen hesitates, deciding to attempt to bite out the emotional words that had been churning in her mind for some time. She'd said goodbye to the castle, to her ghosts and her poltergeist and her favorite portraits. But she hadn't said goodbye to him.

The words won't come, her blasé attitude a rather big barrier between her and her emotions. She swallows past the growing lump in her throat and murmurs, "Thank you. For seeing me."

Professor Flitwick was her first friend, her acting guardian. He'd been quiet and reserved when she needed to scream and cry and beg that her life be different. He'd offered advice and camaraderie when she began to change, when it became obvious that she was different.

Especially in her early years, his office was her safe haven, when the water was still her biggest fear, when she hated returning to her quiet home by the beach. He had instilled confidence in her, guided her, made her feel like she belonged. Not just in Ravenclaw, but in life. He taught her to appreciate her status as a being, showed her the way. The only person that came as close to being her family was Dorcas Meadows. Her partner in crime. Or in ruining the marauder's pranks rather.

He seems stunned by her words, his mouth opening and closing a few times before he finally purses his lips. Gwen bites back a laugh when he sniffles, trying unsuccessfully to hide his emotions. He clears his throat, avoiding her pale gaze while saying gruffly, "Yes, well....you're welcome."

Gwen nods once and turns away, bypassing him up the spiral stairs towards the Headmaster's office. She pauses when Filius Flitwick says pointedly, "I expect to have your 5 year plan on my desk by your last exam, Gwen!"

She doesn't turn, just calls boredly over her shoulder, "Sure thing, Professor."

It's just as noisy as ever in the office, though this time Gwen is drawn to a glass cabinet that spins rather slowly, the whiring noises relatively tame. She glances up to see the portraits of past headmasters watching her. She gives them a quick wave before returning her eyes to the pretty vials that continue to rotate slowly.

Her brows furrow when she sees familiar names scrawled across the paper wrapped around the glasses. Teachers, students, some from the past and some that were in Hogwarts in that very moment.

"Memories."

Gwen reluctantly tears her gaze away from the alluring silver wisps that danced in the bottles. Dumbledore smiles at her, peering over his glasses. She asks calmly, feigning her usual boredom, "Why do you keep so many?"

He decides against pointing out her obvious interest despite her tone. Gwen was a rare kind of Ravenclaw, one that was content to wait for answers to come to her rather than harp on her curiosities. It was part of the reason he trusted her. He hums thoughtfully before responding, "Memories extracted from our minds can no longer be seen using Legilimency. I consider it safe keeping. Some would rather that I have their memories than have them fall into the wrong hands."

Gwen's eyes narrow slightly before she muses, "Sounds like an awfully paranoid thing to do."

"Sometimes it is a necessary evil to relive moments in time," His voice is just as even as her own, and Gwen can't help her flicker of doubt when he continues thoughtfully, "Even the bad ones. There's few better ways to prepare for the future."

She spends several beats of silence formulating a response, her mind subconsciously untangling the riddle of his words. The Veela hesitates, voice reluctant as she asks, "Would you keep mine, Professor?"

He quirks a brow at her, a look of confusion passing over his face. Gwen contemplates explaining, telling him that she has a distinct feeling that some of her memories will be worth reliving in the future. But she's not sure which. Or if she's even lived them yet. So she leaves her question as is, her lips quirking up slightly when he nods. It's what he says that takes her by surprise.

"Would you keep mine?" He asks in return, his voice hinting at mirth and trust. Her smile grows and she shrugs, her blasé tone back when she responds decidedly, "We'll see."

She finally turns from the beckoning memories, her curiosity replaced with an urge to get back to Sirius. She smiles slightly at the thought before asking boredly, "I suppose I'm not here to discuss memories, am I?"

Dumbledore shakes his head, beckoning her to follow as he moves to sit behind his desk. This time, Gwen doesn't ask for candy. She merely snags the box she knows will have some, her features lighting up at the sight of saltwater taffy. One of her favorites, second only to acid pops.

Dumbledore doesn't mention the candy, hiding his smile before beginning, "I was hoping I could count on your advisement. You see, I think it's only fair that I offer some people the same thing I offered you."

Gwen's eyebrows shoot up, her interest causing her to lean forward. A chance to fight. This was it, her friends would know about the Order. They would finally get to fight their own battles. She gestured for Dumbledore to continue, chewing thoughtfully as he says, "I'd also like your input on who those people are."

Gwen smiles, stroking her fingers together. She looks around and wonders simply, "Don't you have something I could write on?"

Dumbledore nods confusedly, reaching into his desk and handing the Veela a length of parchment.

He shouldn't be surprised when she merely plucks a quill from an inkwell before her and begins to scrawl names while humming cheerfully.

He should be even less surprised when he sees Regulus Black's name at the very top.