Chapter 183

Gwen smiles despite the awkwardness in the room.

She'd never minded awkwardness. She found it to be rather entertaining. Almost as entertaining as Frank and Alice Longbottom's visible surprise. Her attention is redirected when Alastor grumbles, "I don't even want to know how it is you're aware of Augustus Rookwood."

"You're right," Gwen says simply. "You don't."

Her lips twitch at the sound of Sirius' chuckling beside her. She clasps her hands together and asks calmly, "Now, instead of trading vague insults about our positions in this war, could we instead come to a compromise?"

"Compromise," Alastor huffs, looking at Sirius as if asking for help. He just grins, shrugging and offering up, "Yes, that is what she said. I would encourage you to listen."

Gwen hums appreciatively, not missing the look of nervousness that Frank and Alice share. Gwen softens slightly, her tone gentle as she says, "Dumbledore wouldn't ask. Not unless he had to."

Alastor stares at her for a few silent moments, his eye sliding to Sirius once again. He nods slightly and the Auror finally sighs, grumbling, "Continue."

Sirius bites back a laugh when Gwen's eyes light up, glimmering with adrenaline and excitement. Her smile only grows as she says, "The Ministry is limiting your attacks on death eaters. Likely in part to the pureblood families pulling the puppet strings. All that Dumbledore would request, is that you join the Order to assist in the things the ministry won't let you."

"Elaborate," Alastor insists gruffly, eyes still narrowed at the being before him. Gwen glances at Sirius, and he feels a surge of pride. She trusted him enough to help convince them. He hesitates before explaining, "The dark rebellion is built on the shoulders of members of the sacred 28. As long as they're alive, working and donating and threatening the ministry...you'll never be able to carry out the necessary assaults on death eaters. Not as Aurors. But as members of the Order—"

"You say that as if you know first hand."

Gwen bristles slightly at Frank Longbottom's words, her voice curt as she wonders, "Did you have something you'd like to ask, Mr. Longbottom?"

Frank's brows furrow at the girl, his face sour as he shifts back and forth under her unnerving gaze. To be fair, Gwen had cornered the Aurors. They had been trying to conduct attacks and missions against death eaters, but those very death eaters were all around. And she and Sirius were right, the Ministry was crumbling from within during these times, refusing the Auror's requests. It was hard to know who to trust, and trusting the son of infamous purebloods wasn't exactly an easy choice.

"No," The young Auror finally answers, glancing over Gwen's shoulder at Sirius. The son of Wallburga and Orion Black looked nothing like his parents. They never smiled kindly. And they certainly never spent time around anyone like Gwen.

That had to be enough for Frank.

Gwen blinks, her eyes lifting back to where Alastor Moody is watching her quietly. Her lips twitch slightly, her voice unwavering as she says, "This isn't about organizations and sides and employment. Not anymore. This is about morals. My only question is wether or not you're willing to sacrifice yours?"

Once again, silence falls upon the room. Gwen waits patiently for a response. It wasn't an easy choice, not to everyone. If the wrong people found out that the top Aurors were helping the Order of the Phoenix, things could go terribly awry. Not just lost jobs, but lost lives. Gwen could only hope that they would agree in spite of that. And in return the Order would protect them. She would make sure of it.

Finally, Alice Longbottom shuffles past Frank, ignoring her husband completely. She extends a hand despite Frank's noise of protest, saying quietly, "I'd be happy to assist the Order. In any way that I can."