Chapter 4

There weren't many things that Gwen absolutely loved about Ravenclaw.

But the common room was undeniably superior to the other houses. It was large and open and airy, light swaths of fabric hanging delicately from the  blue domed ceiling littered with glimmering stars. A whole wall was dedicated to bronze framed windows that peered out over the lake and the forest. There was even views of the quidditch pitch and the greenhouses.

It felt like being outside and was the first place in Hogwarts that made Gwen realize that the castle itself holds more magic than it's given credit for. The only thing was there were thousands of books. Dorcas practically drooled over them, but Gwen could really do without.

When she heard her name being shouted from outside the door, she reluctantly left the safe haven of the common room.

Peering out, she smiles when she sees Lily and Marlene with matching grins on their faces.

"What are you doing here?" She wonders, arching a brow.

"Taking you to Hogsmead of course!!" Marlene crows, grabbing the Veela's arm and yanking her out into the hall. Gwen laughs quietly at the Scottish witch.

Marlene McKinnon was the loudest, most outgoing girl she knew. She was bursting with life and energy, something that the Veela privately envied. Dorcas was smart, Marlene was funny, Lily was sweet and she was...plain. If not for the Veela blood in her veins she reckons no one would notice her.

"But I—"

"No buts!" Lily cries, looping her arm through the veelas. "Dorcas is on her date so that leaves the three of us to slum it together, Gwenyth."

Dorcas had snagged a date with Patrick Clearwater, a beater for Ravenclaw's quidditch team. She'd kept Gwen up nearly all night worrying about it.

Gwen sighs, peering over the copper hair next to her to look at Marlene while she asks flatly, "How many times have I told her to call me Gwen?"

Marlene snickers, replying cheekily, "I've lost count!"

Lily elbows both of them as they hurry out of the castle and onto the grounds.

"We should take a carriage," Marlene groans. "It's too bloody far!!"

Lily tuts, chiding like a parent, "Marlene, it's good to get the blood flowing!! Move your muscles!!"

Gwen can't help but laugh when another noisy whine escapes from her friend. It doesn't take them terribly long to get to the small village, thanks to Lily's speed walking. Gwen and Marlene are both close to panting as they walk after the swinging red hair in front of them.

"Where are we going?" Gwen asks lowly, looking at the back of Lily Evans like she's a psycho. Marlene shared her look and mutters, "Who knows. Probably to stalk Amos Diggory."

Gwen playfully gags at the name while Marlene busts out laughing, causing Lily to whirl around and ask indignantly,

"What are you lot laughing at?!"

"Nothing, Lils!!" Gwen says quickly, biting the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing. Marlene and Gwen were tired of hearing about how handsome and smart and nice Amos Diggory was from Lily.

An idea pops into Gwen's head, reminded of a simple favor she said she'd do.

"Can we go to the three broomsticks? Please!"

Marlene nods her head in agreement. Lily frowns and says disappointedly, "But Amos—"

"Bloody hell! Enough about Amos," Marlene cries making Lily flush. "No real man should want to hang out in that sodding tea shop, Lily and you know it!"

Lily sighs and reluctantly nods, making Gwen cheer loudly. The girls hurry to the Three Broomsticks, their jumpers not doing much to block out the cool air.

"I've told you a thousand times that Hogsmead is above the snow line," Gwen points out when Marlene complains about the temperature.

"Shut up and get the fuck inside!"

Gwen snickers and does as she's told, leading Lily and Marlene into the loud tavern. She peers around the full tables, smiling when she sees exactly who she's looking for. She turns to her friends and says happily,

"I'll get the drinks. Butterbeer?"

"Make it a firewhiskey, I have a feeling Lily is going to make goo goo eyes over Amos some more," Marlene teases. Lily smacks the Scottish witch on the arm before leading her to a table in the back.

Gwen makes a beeline for a certain rowdy table on the opposite side of the room.

"Hello."

Peter let's out a terrible cry, jumping practically out of his seat and clutching his chest. The rest of the marauders look about the same, startled by the sudden appearance of silver hair and blue eyes.

They were still getting used to her new appearance, and had never quite gotten used to her ability to pop up. Gwen grins, flashing the tiny gap between her front teeth as she says, "Sorry, Pete. Didn't mean to startle you."

"It's fine," He mutters bashfully. Remus bites back his laughter and says kindly,

"Hello, Gwen. Having fun?"

"Not really. Well not yet I guess. I was dragged here against my will," She replies simply. Remus laughs at her blunt response, nodding in agreement. She feels prickling on the side of her face, quickly glancing over to see Sirius staring at her rather forwardly.

Her gaze slides past him and lands on the person she was looking for. James. He's sitting slumped in his chair, likely having caught wind of Lily Evan's crush on the older hufflepuff.

"Potter, just wanted to come over and tell you that a certain someone with red hair really really enjoys cold butterbeer with extra foam."

James perks up, surprised at the veela's words pointed towards him. A tiny smile appears on his face and he asks quietly,

"Really?"

Gwen nods, smiling at the hope on his face. She couldn't help it, she always had a thing for the underdog.

"Want to help me carry the drinks over?"

His grin is wide and brilliant now. He elbows Sirius in the side, saying quickly

"Padfoot, get out of my way!"

Sirius grunts irritably, sliding out of the seat so James can get by. James eagerly follows her to the bar top, the both of them talking quietly as they go.

"Traitor," Sirius mumbles, scowling when the blonde throws her head back and laughs. She says something to James that brings another excited smile to his face and then he's hurrying back to the Marauders, whisper yelling,

"Come on! She said for you guys to come too!"

Remus and Peter stand without question, leaving behind a rather grumpy Sirius to slowly follow. He was irritated for a multitude of reasons, her interrupting their plans the main one.

But he was also pissed that a tiny part of him admitted that she looked rather cute in her jumper.