Chapter 161

{{I can't stoppppp. Also I didn't edit. Oh well!}}

Sirius refrains from saying anything about the way Gwen's legs are still shaking slightly when she flips the page of her magazine.

He hides his smile in the back of her pearly hair, his arms tightening around her waist. They'd successfully snuck into the compartment while their friends had been bothering the lady at the snack trolley. They hadn't said anything about the couple's flushed cheeks, though Sirius could feel James looking at them.

He finally snaps, glancing up from where he's reading over Gwen's shoulder and asking his friend, "What, Prongs?"

James smirks, shrugging with one shoulder. He doesn't mention the Acid Pops that Sirius had once sworn he'd hated that were now resting by his side, instead he says cheekily, "I was just wondering how you convinced Ninnie to forgive you."

Sirius feels the blood drain from his face, wincing in anticipation. Gwen doesn't look up from the gossip column, just says plainly, "He's a very good shag."

Remus and James and Peter burst into laughter at her trademark honesty and the exasperated look on Sirius' face, earning disapproving looks from Regulus and Lily.

Dorcas and Marlene smile, Marlene offering, "Congrats, Black. I don't think you'll get a better review than that."

"Unlikely," He replies with a sigh, shaking his head. He leans forward so he can see Gwen's face, asking wryly, "Are you ever going to refrain from divulging information about what we do behind closed doors?"

Gwen quirks a brow, glancing up briefly as she replies, "It's not like I gave them any details."

Lily shoots James a pointed look before he can goad the Veela into giving out more information, the boy crossing his arms and muttering sullenly, "You're no fun, Evans."

"Try the train car bathroom, Lily," Gwen pipes up, earning yet another horrified look from her boyfriend. "I'm sure James would consider that fun."

"Inferi," Sirius groans, swiping a hand over his face as Regulus crinkles his nose and complains, "Merlin, Gwen. Could we change the subject?"

"Sure, Little," Gwen replies, her face turned to her magazine though she peeks at him out of the corner of her eye. Her lips twitch as she says, "There's a lovely recipe for an at home anti-aging face cream in this week's addition. If you continue frowning like that, you might consider using it."

Remus chokes on the chocolate he was chewing on, Regulus' face screwing up further. His eyes hint at his reluctant mirth when he retorts, "Is there anything in there about shutting up Veelas?"

Sirius shakes his head, a dramatic look of sorrow as he replies quietly, "I've looked, Reggie."

He winces when her bony elbow suddenly presses into his gut, leaning forward to hide a smile in her hair again. He knows that she can tell he's fighting laughter. He hopes she can tell that he's sorry for being so moody and angry. After their tryst in the bathroom he'd cemented himself to her, practically glued to her side. Arguing with her brought out the most insecure parts of himself. Because she could leave whenever she wanted, cut him loose. But he would chase her forever.

His thumb strokes over the tattoo on her arm, the one they share, and Gwen suddenly looks over his shoulder as if she can hear what he's thinking. Her smile grows and she asks nonchalantly, "I'm thinking we plant some snowdrop seeds in the garden when we eventually go to the cottage. Don't you reckon that will look nice in winter?"

Sirius feels like he may melt into a puddle. She's planning. Planning on him being there to see snowdrops bloom in the winter. Relief floods him, his insecurities fading as he answers quietly, "I think that sounds nice, Inferi."

Dorcas hides behind her book, sharing a round eyed look with Marlene. The Scottish witch rolls her eyes at her sappy girlfriend, though the feelings are mutual amongst the rest of the group.

The world didn't turn without Sirius and Gwen together.

The train begins to slow and Lily suddenly grows teary eyed, her voice shaking slightly as she speaks, "Alright! Let's get up and get ready—we don't want to dawdle."

She sounds ever much the head girl. Marlene snorts and says mockingly, "Yes, Mum."

Lily just sighs, James quickly jumping to his feet to help her round up the rowdy group. Sirius and Gwen stand, filing out just behind Regulus and Remus. She tries desperately to drag her own trunk, but Sirius swats her hands away, effortlessly lifting it up onto his own and muttering, "Go on ahead, mon chaton."

Gwen smiles slightly, knowing better than too argue, especially with her body still feeling weak from his touch. Dorcas and Marlene appear next to her as they step off the Hogwarts Express for the last time.

Lily joins the girls, tears finally falling as she sniffles, "I wish we could stay like this forever. I don't want this to end."

Gwen laughs, pulling her girls in for a rather uncharacteristic group hug. Marlene, Dorcas, and Lily all lean in, their heads all meeting in the middle. Gwen smiles, glancing at each of her friends in turn before saying firmly, "It's not the end, Lily."

Dorcas smiles when the Veela doesn't elaborate, the girls breaking up to hug each other one by one. They'd see each other soon, far sooner than they would over a summer between terms. But it felt different. Life was going to be different.

Dorcas and Marlene are the first to break off, the former finally feeling brave enough to meet her girlfriend's parents.

After an affectionate goodbye, full of loving whispers that Gwen can't hear, Lily departs for her home, already steeling herself to face Petunia.

Gwen, James, and Peter stand quietly in the station, taking it in as Sirius appears alongside them, grunting, "What the fuck did you peck in here, Inferi?"

"I have a lot of magazines," Gwen retorts, earning a laugh from James. Peter draws everyone's attention when a quiet sniffle escapes him. Remus looks at their short friend in surprise, asking, "Wormtail, are you crying?"

"No!" He quickly answers, glaring when Sirius mutters, "It's kind of obvious, mate."

"I'm just upset about the map!" Peter defends, crossing his arms in front of himself. Gwen smiles, reassuring, "The things we lose have an odd way of finding their way back to us, don't you think?"

The Marauders and Regulus stare at the Veela silently, Peter finally muttering, "I'm gonna go before Ninnie tells me my future. See you all soon!"

Peter disappears into the crowd, James turning to Gwen and asking abruptly, "What number am I thinking of?"

Sirius rolls his eyes at his friend, sighing like a tired parent when Gwen answers calmly, "forty four."

James' eyes grow round and he takes a small step closer to Remus, muttering, "Moony, protect me. You're the only one that stands a chance."

Remus chuckles, teasing, "I dunno, Reg is probably..."

Remus trails off when he turns to his boyfriend, finding that Regulus Black suddenly looks very pale. His brows furrow and he glances at Sirius, the two of them following the younger boy's gaze until they see what it is that has him frozen.

Gwen and James are both left rather confused, similar expressions donning their faces. Until Gwen turns around and sees what Sirius is glaring at. Or rather who.

"Oh good," Gwen says plainly.

Her lips twitch at the figures approaching them hurriedly as she continues,

"I do love a reunion."