Chapter 175

Gwen smiles slightly as Nicolas Flamel lets out a hearty laugh.

Dumbledore and the alchemist were reminiscing on their pasts, tales of friendship and adventures that Gwen couldn't fathom. But there was tension hanging over the room, no one quite willing to break the happiness and replace it with talk of war.

But it had to be done, and Gwen had always been one to enjoy awkward silences.

"Did you two use your phoenix book to plan for the death of Mr. Grindlewald?"

The words fly from her mouth before she can stop them, shattering the atmosphere of laughter. Dumbledore quickly looks at her, his eyes growing wide. Gwen ignores him however, instead watching as Nicolas grows pale.

The Veela smiles wryly, continuing in a plain voice, "Don't tell me the book is meant to be a secret? Fawkes was all too eager to divulge that information."

Nicolas' eyes slowly drift to where Dumbledore is staring at the Veela in disbelief. The alchemist grows wary of the Veela, his voice uncertain as he replies, "Not a secret, just not memories I care to relive. How does Fawkes—"

"The same way your crystal ball works, Mr. Flamel," The Veela answers his unfinished question, her fingers steepled under her chin and her pale eyes insistent on his as he balks at her revealing another one of his secrets. She blinks, the room quiet if not for the crackling fire.

"Gwenyth," Dumbledore warns, earning the attention of the being. She quirks a brow, asking curiously, "Am I not supposed to mention the dark wizards of the past? I'd think would be wise to consider them when preparing for the one—"

"Surely you aren't here to ask me for help," Nicolas interrupts, pinning the headmaster with a fearful stare. Dumbledore sighs, his brows furrowing as he replies, "Not the way I needed help last time. Nicolas, I'm concerned about your possession of...."

Gwen smiles when the headmaster trails off and glances at her, Nicolas following his gaze. They both look at the Veela quietly for a few long moments, the alchemist seemingly growing more uncomfortable by the minute.

The possession of the Philosopher's stone. That's what Dumbledore wanted to discuss. Though neither wizard felt certain they should discuss it in front of the girl. Gwen was almost certain they shouldn't. Even she could be tempted by that much power. She had no desire to know where such a tempting bit of magic resided.

She stands, speaking nonchalantly, "I'll go get some drinks. What can I get for you Mr. Flamel?"

The alchemist's expression grows softer at her kindness and he replies gently, "Nicolas is just fine, Gwen. And I'll take a glass of wine, please."

Dumbledore just nods at the Veela, appraising her silently as she wanders to the door. Gwen slips out of the quiet room and into the bustling tavern, bodies already bumping into her as she tries to move forwards.

She sighs to herself, feeling a prickling of nervousness at the crowd. She pushes onward, slipping past sweaty drunk beings. She ignores the leering from the men and the glares from the women, her head pounding from the loud music. When she finally gets to the bar and greets the smiling bar keep she orders quickly, "verre de vin, s'il vous plaît!"

He flushes and nods quickly disappearing to grab what she's ordered. Gwen smiles faintly when he reappears a few minutes later, two glasses in hand and an irritated look on his face. She quirks a brow when he sets down the glasses in front of her and says with a thick accent, "The man on the end wanted to buy you one as well."

Gwen blinks at the glasses displayed on the bar top. Thinking better of it, she doesn't turn to see what man it is the bar keep is referring to. But when she goes to turn and retreat back to the safety of the room with Dumbledore and Nicolas, her path is blocked.