Chapter 170

"This is terrible."

Albus Dumbledore hides his smile behind his mug, glancing across the fire at Gwen. Her expression is flat, eyes narrowed as she shakes her head.

"Apologies, Gwen," He replies, quirking a brow when she retorts, "Perhaps I should do the cooking from now on?"

The Veela rolls her eyes when he laughs, her lips reluctantly twitching into a smile. The early morning sky was a shade of grey that stirred her heart, her fingers instantly moving to twist the gold ring on her finger. Her smile grows when the metal turns warmer against her skin. She spins it again, telling Sirius good morning.

Today reminded her of Hogwarts. The mist and the color of the sky felt all too familiar, even comforting. Perhaps it was spending time with the headmaster again, or perhaps it was the letter she had received from Sirius detailing the warm summer days at the Potters. He was still angry with her, she knew he would be for some time. But she had a rather strong inkling that this trip would be worth it.

The Headmaster knew her better than she gave him credit for. When she glances up, he's watching her fiddle absentmindedly with her ring. He smiles, sipping some tea from his mug before asking, "Sirius isn't pleased?"

He looks up to the sky when her face grows stiff. She hesitates for a brief moment before reluctantly muttering, "We're very good at arguing."

"Good," Dumbledore hums, his eyes returning to hers. She smiles slightly when he continues, "You'd both be bored otherwise."

Gwen shifts on the stump she was perched on, her throat growing tight. She was anything but bored when she was with Sirius. And she'd hated leaving. She wouldn't have. But James was a good friend, one that most people were undeserving of. He gave her the strength to go.

She only hopes Sirius didn't hit him too hard.

"Are you going to tell me what it is we're meant to do today?" Gwen changes the subject easily, her voice and emotions reverting to comfortable passiveness.

Dumbledore hums his answer, turning to look out at the town taunting them in the distance. The last time they'd been here it hadn't ended so well. Both were feeling slightly apprehensive, but neither acknowledged it. Gwen knew what the first task of today was. She just liked Dumbledore thinking she was naïve. It was far too entertaining to surprise him.

It didn't take long for them to pack up, the two of them sharing comfortable silence as they wordlessly used magic to neatly take down their tents and shove them into the bag with an extension charm that Dumbledore had procured. She nearly pointed out the illegality of it, but refrained from doing so this time. She wasn't always on the right side of the law anyhow.

Gwen finally speaks when their feet meet the familiar stone streets, asking, "And where will we be meeting Mykew today?"

Dumbledore glances over at her and she bites back a laugh at his startled expression. He shakes his head, saying lowly, "Don't speak his name too loudly. He's only agreed to see me since you will be in attendance. He does not want his location revealed to the wrong people."

Gwen rolls her eyes but nods, reluctantly pressing her lips together to keep from saying anything else. She suddenly misses having Dorcas around to monitor what things she should and shouldn't say. She'd never been very good at self control when it came to her thoughts.

Dumbledore takes her deeper into the town, guiding her past the Inn where they'd stayed. Her heart feels heavy when she sees that they haven't yet recovered from the destruction. Windows on houses were boarded, children were grasped tightly to their mother's chests as they hurried down the streets. It had been beautiful here, peaceful. Magic could be a gift, a beautiful tool to help and protect and rebuild. But it could just as easily be a weapon, one she knew muggles weren't equipped to deal with. She wasn't sure she was even able to deal with it at times.

The Veela spots the old wandmaker before Dumbledore, her feet carrying her past the headmaster and to the wizard. He was sitting rather nervously at a table under a red canopy at the window of a cafe, the surroundings shadowed from the morning sun just beginning to break through the veil of mist.

Mykew Gregorovitch looked much the same, though his hair was somehow even whiter and crazier now. She's admittedly surprised when he stands and outstretches his arms, her lips curving into a smile as she steps into his embrace.

"The Veela of Hogwarts," The wizard greets warmly, earning a laugh from the girl. People that came into contact with the Veela often found that they liked her, whether it be portraits or wizards that were three times her age. That very much included the Wandmaker. He meets Dumbledore's gaze over her shoulder, saying pointedly, "No one told me that you were safe after your last trip to Bulgaria. I'm glad to see it with my own eyes."

"Yes," Gwen muses, pulling back to look up at him plainly. "I'd hate to disappear in the middle of your experiments."

The wandmaker flushes at her comment, gesturing for her to quickly take a seat. He hurriedly looks around to make sure no one is loitering near by before sitting down across from her and Dumbledore.

The Headmaster speaks first, a faint smile on his face as he asks, "How is your project coming along Mykew?"

The wandmaker holds up a hand to gesture for Dumbledore to wait, his voice carrying to a nearby waitress. He says something in Bulgarian that Gwen doesn't quite understand, but the young woman smiles and hurries away. Gregorovitch clears his throat, turning back to Dumbledore and saying flatly, "Not well."

Gwen notes the brief look of panic on her travel companion's face. She knew why Dumbledore was anxious. He needed the thing Gregorovitch was working on to work so that he would forget about his long lost wand. The very wand that Dumbledore had come to possess. Not that the wandmaker knew that. If he did there would have most certainly been a brawl.

"Perhaps I can help," She offers, sitting upright in her seat when the waitress reappears with a tray of familiar looking cookies and drinks. The Veela cant help her wriggle of excitement when the drink is set down in front of her. She glances up at the waitress and says quietly, "Blagodarya."

The waitress returns the smile before retreating into the cafe, leaving the two wizards to stare at Gwen in surprise. Gregorovitch cant help but grin at the Veela, impressed by her use of Bulgarian.

He's even more impressed by her offer.

"You would help me?" Gregorovitch wonders, and Dumbledore nearly chokes on his mead when the Veela reply's bluntly, "For the right price."

Dumbledore quickly shoves a cookie in his mouth to avoid having to speak when Mykew throws him an exasperated look. The wandmaker's eyes narrow and he sighs, turning back to the Veela as he mutters, "I only need more of your fire, Gwenyth. I'm very close to being able to utilize it—"

"Mmm," The Veela interrupts, taking a sip of the honeyed drink she'd missed more than she'd realized. She continues boredly, "I'm not much interested in wandlore. Though I'm impressed you're close to being able to use it for a core. Promising results in the use of such a wand, I'm sure?"

Mykew grumbles a reluctant 'yes,' saying lowly, "Name your price, Miss. Whitlock."

Gwen tuts quietly, setting down her glass and delicately picking up a cookie. Her eyes drift over to the wizard asking for her help. She can't help but be amused by the way he shifts uncomfortably under her pale gaze.

She takes a small bite of the cookie, chewing thoughtfully before replying simply, "I'll let you know when I've decided what it is."

Dumbledore chuckles, pitying his old friend and saying gently, "Gwen, perhaps—"

"Gwin?"

Dumbledore and Gregorovitch share a look of confusion at the interruption, peering over the head of the Veela. Gwen suddenly stills in her seat, her mind instantly filling in the blanks she'd been drawing at the confusing first sound of her name. She slowly stands and turns, her lips twitching into a smile.

There, standing tall and very much alive, was yet another friend she'd met in her travels.

{{an update to celebrate the coming week. I'm practicing gratitude this week because seasonal depression has arrived early! I am grateful to be alive, and I'm grateful to have all of you!}}