Top-Ing The Charts

Top 10 Kpop Albums in 2020

As you know 2020 was a blasting year for kpop industry, many songs were released. So these are the top 10 by Rollingstone.

10. Better by BoA

On her 10th studio album, K-pop legend BoA brings back early 2000s R&B and pop, reminiscent of iconic moments from J.Lo, Beyonce and Ciara. Title track “Better” screams this stylistic choice, elevating it with a string section and a thrumming, weighty bassline. The singer-songwriter dives into dark pop (“Temptations”), piano jazz (“All That Jazz,”) nu-disco (“L.O.V.E,”) and a heady Neo-soul/deep house blends (“Got Me Good.”) BoA is bold and fearless in her lyricsm, unafraid to discuss her vulnerabilities, desires from life, love and success. It’s a fantastic bookend to two decades of outstanding artistry from one of K-pop’s biggest names.

 It’s a fantastic bookend to two decades of outstanding artistry from one of K-pop’s biggest names

~•~

9. First Collection by SF9

This LP earned SF9 their much-deserved first win and for good reason. The group’s first studio album spans several genres, giving us a true look into exactly what this nine-member collective is capable of. SF9 mastered house with last year’s “Now or Never” and chose to lead with an elevated version of that strength on “Good Guy.” The infectious release immediately set the tone for the record–elegant, modern and luxurious. While deep house is the opener, SF9 refuse to be boxed into the genre, adding soul and funk (“Shh”), dancehall (“Fire”), pop (“Dance With Us”) and more to show various colors of their artistry and why they’re worth paying attention to. The contemplative, soaring “Like The Hands Held Tight” is the underdog of First Collection, seeped with complex adlibs and emotional verses complemented by a haunting soft rock vibe.

 The contemplative, soaring “Like The Hands Held Tight” is the underdog of First Collection, seeped with complex adlibs and emotional verses complemented by a haunting soft rock vibe

~•~

8. Kai by Kai

Kai’s solo debut has been one of the most anticipated events in K-pop and with this self-titled record, he proves why the wait was very much worth it. Filled with synthy and sensual R&B, hypnotic verses and bold dashes of trap, KAI (开) finally unveils the vision the musician has for himself. Lead single “Mmmh” (co-produced by R&B artist Junny) is playful and sexy, hooking itself into every listener’s brain with its incredibly clever yet simple vocal refrain on the chorus and cementing the idea of who Kai is as an artist. “Amnesia” is an absolute triumph thanks to Kai’s dreamy adlibs and effortless falsetto, while “Ride or Die” (produced by AOMG’s Cha Cha Malone) dips into Eighties and alternative R&B and “Hello Stranger” uses a blend of R&B and guitar to unique effect. Bold with hits of nostalgia, breathy vocals and chic, sleek production, the six-track record gives us the clearest picture of who Kai is outside of EXO and SuperM–all without sacrificing the strong foundation in R&B and trap he built with both groups.