Judgement

On October 13, 2020 a baby girl, only 16 months old, died due to severe abdominal injuries she obtained from her adoptive parents. Her adoptive mother insisted the baby sustained the injuries because she accidentally dropped her. She endured constant abuse and torture for 271 days until her sad death. Her adoptive full name was Ahn Yul-Ha otherwise known as Jeongin.

This case has since then become a significant one in the public eye, especially in Korea. This case has been taken to court, and many have been advocating for the parents to get the punishment they deserve. And on April 14, 2021 the judges verdict has been decided. 

While prosecutors demanded the death penalty for the parents of baby Jeongin, the verdict was quite different in court. Jeongin’s mother, surnamed Jang, was given a 5 year probation and required to wear a tracking device for 30 years. For Jang’s husband, who was also indicted as an accomplice, the prosecution demanded a 7 ½ year prison term.

At this verdict, the public is outraged and demands a harsher sentence, even going so far to request a death penalty for the two parents who abused and tortured this poor baby girl. Rest in peace, sweet Jeongin.

In any case, baby Jeongin will always stay in our hearts and minds. We hope that wherever she is now, she is peaceful and happy.

What are your opinions? Do you agree with the verdict? Do you think they deserve the death penalty?