Cultural Appropriations

[Jay Park CANCELLED...again]

Jay Park has always been controversial, especially when it comes to cultural appropriation

However, as of late, he has been doing a lot of things which have disappointed many of his fans and many who are a part of the Kpop community as well. 

One of his first offenses this year was concerning lyrics in a song he produced and helped write with another rapper. Granted, the lyrics in question were not his own, however the damage was already done. The lyrics were very disrespectful to the Muslim culture and when fans brought attention to this, Jay Park decided to defend himself rather than apologize. Instead, he claimed "lyrics were never meant to be offensive or disrespectful" and said the fans were overreacting. 

After fans didn't accept his reaction, he finally decided to release a apology, from his notes app on his phone. 

Fans and the public felt as though the apology was half hearted and he didn't really care. 

This proved to be accurate once he released a track called "DNA remix". It was supposed to be a track about how they were proud to be Korean, but during the MV they were appropriating black culture. 

After the MV rightfully received backlash, Jay Park decided to post a comment on the video in response to it. At first it seemed as though he were praising the black culture for greatly influencing hip-hop in Korea and worldwide. However, then he started talking as though he had a right to make use of that culture however he seemed fit because it was "appreciating" the culture. 

Many fans, especially African Americans found this extremely offensive. They claimed that he was basically saying he could cultural appropriate and he wasn't going to apologize for it. 

The MV has since been taken down due to the backlash surrounding it. 

What do you think of Jay Park's behavior? 
Do you agree with what the fans have said? 
Let us know!