43. old friends

may 16, 1977

Selene woke up in her own dorm the next morning. She finally decided to go back to the Slytherin dorms after a long night with the marauders and her two new friends. She tried to track down Sadie the whole morning, but she couldn't find her. 

Narcissa had left the dorm early that morning, before Selene had even woke up, which was no accident. Narcissa was avoiding her, and so was Sadie, and everyone else. 

Selene shrugged it off and kept getting ready, it was better this way. She didn't want the Slytherins to like her. She did her hair and put on her uniform in her own silence and made her way to history of magic, the worst class ever to have first period on a Monday.

As she made her way down to the common room, she saw Sadie leaving through the stone door. They made eye contact for a brief moment before Sadie headed out as if Selene wasn't there. 

Selene hurried down the steps and out into the corridor to find Sadie already halfway down the hall. 

"Sadie!" she called out. The girl kept walking even though she heard her, Selene hurried and caught up with her, "Hey Selwyn" she said again

"What Selene" the girl muttered still walking. Selene huffed and grabbed the girls upper arm dragging her into the adjacent corridor

"Will you just talk to me?" Selene said angrily

"No I won't! Selene I can't be seen with you" Sadie hushed

"Really?" she scoffed

"Yes! I don't judge your boy choices, but I won't let you drag me down with you!" she told her "You made your choice and I made mine."

"So we just aren't friends anymore?" Selene and Sadie had never been great friends but this was still a slap face. Someone wasn't going to be friends with her just because of the guy she liked? But then again that was the world she lived in. 

"I'm sorry Selene, I can't be seen with you" Sadie walked away from her. "Don't follow me"

Selene didn't want to be upset. She chose this, she didn't care that she lost Sadie or her other Slytherin friends if it meant she could have Remus. But she had known Sadie since first year. They met at the sorting ceremony, Selwyn was right after Rowle, the girls sat together with her brother who was in his second year.

And they became best friends. They had drifted a little over the years but they were always close, no matter what, they always kept in contact, sat together on the train, sat together at meals even if they were best friends they were still friends and it hurt to lose a friend. 

It was the type of friendship that even if it wasn't constantly thriving and growing it was always there, whenever you needed it to be.

Selene tried to stay calm but tears clouded her vision and she stormed off back to her dorm. She ignored the curious looks from people in the hallway and common room, and threw her bag at her bed before sinking into a pile of tears against the wall. 

She covered her mouth with her hand in an attempt to silence her sobs. She felt her chest starting to tighten and her breath getting harder to catch, she held the sides of her head with her shaking hands trying to calm herself down. 

She remembered what Remus would always do when she was panicking. She closed her eyes and remembered that night in the summer. The blanket, the stars, and Remus. She picture Remus in front of her, and his voice

Just take a deep breath okay? Okay. See you're okay, I'm okay. Everything's going to be okay, I'm not going anywhere, I'm right here. Everything's gonna be okay