89. detention

november 19, 1977

When Sirius and Remus got out of detention, they headed back to the common room, not expecting to meet up with the others until much later, but to their surprise they had barely spent twenty minutes in the common room before the door opened and Lily, James and a bloodied up Selene entered. 

Remus immediately stood up and walked over to her, examining her face, 

"What the bloody hell" Sirius held back the urge to say Literally realizing it would only cause more blood 

"I'm fine Rem-"

"Who did this to you?" he growled placing his forefinger under her chin to tilt her head back slightly

"Remus-"

"I knew it, I'm gonna kill that son of a-"

"Oi!" Selene raised her voice, grabbing Remus shirt and pushing him into the wall beside them to get his attention. "Calm. down." she said sternly

Remus had to admit. With her hair slightly messed up, her hands tangled in his short and her expression cold, he was turned on, but still mad. 

By now Lily James and Sirius had taken the message and silently retreated to their separate rooms, James no doubt telling Sirius what had happened in their dorm.

Selene who was very sick of Remus being the protective boyfriend with hunting instincts, who only caused more trouble, so she finally took matters into her own hands

"Calm down?" he seethed

"I swear to Merlin, Remus Lupin I've had a long day."

"Then tell me what happened" he demanded

"Well do you want the long version or the short"

"The long version" Remus said surely

"Okay well long story short, Theodore tried to kill me. I assume one last time before they lost the trace on me, he failed as per usual, but You Know Who and my parents have a bounty on my head now" Selene conveniently left out the part about Calvin.

"Where is he now?" Remus raised an eyebrow

"Lying unconscious somewhere in Hogsmeade" she shrugged

"Good girl"

"I know. How was detention?"

"Don't change the subject"

"There's nothing more to talk about, it happened, it's happened before, it will likely happen again"

"You're still bleeding" he ran the pad of his thumb over the dried blood on her face

"I'll clean myself up"

"Why don't you let me?" he asked seductively, closing the gap between them

"Mmm" she moaned "As much as I'd love to, I'm still mad at you for getting detention"

"So that means...?"

"That means you're on your own" she smirked breaking away from him and heading over to the portrait hole. 

She was still confidently smirking as she left the common room, but it soon changed to an anxiety wave washing over her as she felt the effects of the events of today settling in. 

One of the main things bothering her was the overlap. She and Calvin had both liked each other in fourth year. And her life would be completely different right now if one of them mustered the courage to ask the other out. 

Selene wouldn't have met and fell in love with Remus. She also might not have any issues with Theodore. Selene might have fallen victim to the pureblood mania and society and definitely would've ended up marrying Calvin when she was of age. 

The thought of it was almost too much to bear as she entered the girls bathroom feeling dizzy. She clutched the sink, breathing heavily, trying to calm herself down. 

It's not even that big a deal she told herself. The past can't change, you met Remus and love him. You don't like Calvin anymore and you will not end up with him.

She still felt shaken and stayed in the bathroom a minute longer. After she calmed down some more she splashed water on her face and left the bathroom, more composed then when she entered. 

————————————————

august 23, 1978

The Order meeting was being held at the Prewett's House, located in a small neighborhood of seniors. One by one people arrived at the cottage knocking four times on the side door until the house was packed to capacity. 

James, Remus, and Sirius were among the first half to arrive. Heads turned and conversations stopped when the three walked in, but it wasn't because of James or Sirius.  

No one had seen or heard from Remus for the better part of a year, and of course no one expected to after what happened. 

Feeling uncomfortable under the gaze of everyone including Dumbledore and Moody, Remus quickly walked over to the side of the room, clearing his throat so James and Sirius followed. 

Everyone cautiously resumed their conversation watching in their peripheral vision as Dumbledore walked over to the three marauders in the corner. 

"Remus how wonderful it is to see you" he said in a gentle tone "We're glad to have you here"

"I'm glad to be here" Remus said half-heartedly. 

"Gentlemen" Dumbledore nodded at the other two and walked back over to his conversation with Moody which now definitely was about the three of them. 

As more arrived they too stared at Remus once realizing he was there, standing in the corner. Some even came up to give condolences, and in rare, awkward cases, a hug or pat on the back. 

He felt like he couldn't breath. 

But storming out and having a panic attack was not something he fancied at the moment, so he breathed deeply and tried to calm himself down. 

If there was one person out of the dozens there he would actually enjoy the company of, it would've been Marlene McKinnon. 

So when the girl walked through the door with Lily and Dorcas, she stopped dead in her tracks, mouth falling open, tears forming in her eyes. 

She walked over to Remus, trying not to blink in case she was imagining him, but she wasn't. There he was. 

"Can I hug you?" she whispered. Remus who was also feeling the beginnings of tears nodded, to which Marlene jumped into his arms hugging him tightly and letting the tears escape her eyes. 

"I'm so sorry" she whispered. Remus was speechless, so he just hugged her. 

"Ahem" Moody cleared his throat "Okay then-" he was cut off by the door opening once more and Peter Pettigrew stumbling into the room, clearing his throat 

"Sorry" he apologized 

"Now that that's all settled..." Moody's voice faded into the background as Remus locked eyes with Peter, whose expression fell at the sight of Remus. 

There was something in his face that Remus had never seen before. Something dragging him to the floor, threatening to crush him. 

It was guilt. 

1.1k words

i wonder??

yessir lol anyways i have too many ideas for fanfics and not enough time to write them

vote and comment!