84. stress

october 30, 1977

"Lily wait up" Selene called jogging out of the common room. Lily slowed and turned, allowing the girl to catch up with her, 

"Can I talk to you?" she asked

"Why? Cause if you've come to do Potter's bidding-"

"No, Merlin Lily, can we just talk?"

"Fine, what's up" Lily agreed, clearly irritated

"Are you okay, you've been off recently?"

"I'm fine, my only problem is the meathead of a boy that follows me around-"

"Lily, this isn't you, I know you aren't actually mad at James, what's really on your mind?" Selene spoke again before Lily could cut her off "Please"

"Fine, but not here" she huffed glancing at the passing people.

A couple minutes later when they were settled in a secluded corner of the library, away from other students, when Selene spoke again, 

"So?"

"I assume you haven't seen the paper" she whispered, still in an irritated tone, reaching into her bag, and throwing down a copy of the Daily Prophet with the headline in big block letter:

ENTIRE MUGGLE FAMILY KILLED, RADICAL GROUPS SUSPECTED

Selene's face fell as she skimmed the article. The Treswell family,  two parents, three children, one of which at Hogwarts this year, all killed in their home, expect for Malinda Treswell a second year Muggle-born student at Hogwarts.

"The kids, one of them was only nine" Lily whispered, clearly holding back tears

"Oh Lils" Selene closed her eyes "I'm so sorry"

"It could've been my family, it could be my family next time, what am I supposed to do?" she asked 

"I'm so sorry love, I had no idea" she wrapped her arms around Lily, embracing her tightly.

"It's just, I get there's a whole war going on, but I'm a muggleborn, I have a whole 'nother family to worry about, that doesn't know anything about this"

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea  you were going through this, you must be so stressed"

"Yeah, you can say that" she laughed sarcastically

"Is there anything I can do to help you, I can cover your prefect duties, do your homework-"

"Just one thing" Lily shook her head

"Of course anything"

"Can you actually cover my prefect duties tonight, I want to check in on Malinda, she's in Gryffindor, she must be so scared"

"Of course Lils, are you sure you don't need anything else?"

"No" she said with a kind smile, "I ought to go talk to James before he leaves me"

"Like he'd ever leave you" Selene rolled her eyes, "But hey, you stay here, I'll take this" she picked the newspaper up off the table, "And I'll go talk to James first, and explain everything"