78. not over

october 14, 1977

Sirius was on his way back from detention around 9:30 that night. It was a rare sight to see a single marauder in detention, usually they came in as all four, or three or at least in pairs. 

On this occasion, he and Peter had been painting over some Slytherin tapestries, when Peter spotted Mrs. Norris, and turned into a rat upon instinct. An instinct that in this case almost ended fatally. 

Sirius was so busy laughing at Peter scampering away from the cat in his Animagus form, that he didn't notice Filch behind him, landing him in detention. 

He was pretty pissed at Peter and normally would be in a sour mood, but he recently came upon a cute Hufflepuff girl, who had access to certain plants in the Greenhouses, that really raised his mood, and it was funny to recall seeing Peter in a literal game of cat and mouse. 

He was walking by the Transfiguration classroom when four individuals turned the corner and started walking in his direction. Due to where the light was sourced from he couldn't identify their faces until they were only a couple yards away.

Even his high couldn't sugar coat the presence of Theodore Nott, Jonathan Warrington, Shane Montauge and Lance Pucey.

"Evening Black" Theodore said in a threatening tone

"Hello boys" Sirius breathed out, "I'd love to chit chat and shit, but I really must- wait. That rhymed" he smiled and nodded his head, 

"What's wrong with him?" Montague asked

"I was saying something, right! I have to go fellas-"

"Is he stoned?" Warrington asked, narrowing his eyes, tilting his head

"Wow, pathetic" Theodore spat 

"Whatever, just leave me alone" Sirius whined trying to walk past them, but getting pushed back in front of them by Montague

"Unfortunately I can't do that, cause if I recall correctly, we still have some unfinished business to settle" as Theodore spoke, Montague and Pucey walked around Sirius until they were behind him

"Can we reschedule, I have things to do" Sirius tapped his bare wrist, accidentally rolling his eyes back to look at the ceiling. 

"Like what, your whore?" Pucey smirked

"C'mon man why'd you have to say that" Sirius groaned before swinging his fist at the boy who caught it, and twisted his arm backwards, causing him to yell out in pain. 

Montague grabbed both Sirius' arms and held them behind his back, restricting his movements. He felt his high withering away as he struggled out of the boy's arms, unable to break free.

Theodore withdrew his hand from his pocket which was obnoxiously covered in rings to the point where you could barely see his knuckles

"Fucking-" Sirius breathed out only to be cut off by the abundance of metal meeting the side of his face. Pain overwhelmed Sirius as his cheek throbbed. He spat blood on the ground next to Theodore's feet. 

This time Theodore punched Sirius in the gut, vacuuming all the air of the boy's lungs. He groaned and gasped for air, cursing their names under his breath as he continued struggling against Montague's grip. 

Several punches later, Sirius hung, too limp to keep his head up, face bloodied and beat to oblivion, cuts from the rings slicing all over his face, eye bruised shut, breath rasping.

Theodore grabbed a fistful of Sirius' hair and forced his head to look up at him. Sirius' eyes were fluttering open and shut, but he mustered as much strength as he could to spit blood in Theodore's face, and breath out a somewhat incoherent