98. tears

march 24, 1978

It was a full moon. 

One of the last of the school year. 

One of the last ones Remus would ever spend at Hogwarts. It was bittersweet in a way. He had spent over half his transformations on Hogwarts grounds. He didn't know what he'd do once school let out. Where he could go to be safe enough from others. Would the marauders still come with him? These and many thoughts plagued Remus' mind as he got ready for the dreadful night. 

"Is there anything you need?" Selene asked as she walked him to the end of the entrance hall. The sun was setting and soon the moon would be rising. 

"I'm okay love I promise, I will see you in the morning okay?" he asked 

"Okay" she nodded. She hated that he had to go through this, it was so unfair. She wrapped him in a tight hug "I love you so much Remus Lupin"

"I love you too Selene Rowle" he embraced her and when they broke apart he kissed her forehead. "I'll see you tomorrow" he started off towards the Whomping Willow. 

"I'll see you tomorrow" she echoed back. She watched him immobilize the tree and enter through into the passage that led to the Shrieking Shack. Once he was out of sight she turned to head back to the dorms. On full moon nights she stayed in the girls dorms with Lily, Marlene, Dorcas and Mary. 

James, Sirius and Peter were getting ready to go to the Shrieking Shack as well. They were drinking some last minute caffeine and James was grabbing his shitty med kit that he used to help fix some surface level things, on the morning after the moon. 

"Sirius hurry up we gotta go" James urged as him and Peter waited in the doorway "Moonrise is in half an hour"

"You guys go I'm not ready, and someone should be there with him" Sirius responded

"You sure mate?" Peter asked 

"Yeah go ahead, I'll be right behind" So James and Peter headed out while Sirius tried to get all his things together. Once he was finally ready he began out of Gryffindor Towers and through the darkening corridors. 

He almost reached the entrance hall when heard something. He wasn't sure at first but when he followed the sound it became clear 

It was crying. No, sobbing. 

He followed the sound to one of the windows, where he found Selene with her head buried into her knees while she stared at the rising moon over the grounds. 

"Selene?" Sirius spoke up. He caught her by surprise and she wiped away her tears and sat up straight, trying to play off what Sirius had just saw. 

"Oh, hey Sirius," she cleared her throat, "shouldn't you be at the Shrieking Shack?"

"Yeah I was running late, what's wrong?" he asked worriedly

"Nothing, nothing" she brushed it off

"Selene, I just caught you hysterically sobbing in the hallways, what happened?" Sirius was starting to become uneasy

"It's nothing, really Sirius I'm fine" she jumped off the ledge of the window, back down to the corridor, "I should be getting back" she started heading the opposite direction. Sirius grabbed her arm

"Sel, I'm starting to get concerned, can you please just talk to me?" the look in his eyes was genuine, and it broke her heart,

"I promise, I'm okay" she whispered

"What does that even mean?"

"Can you please just not mention this to Remus, or the others?" 

"I won't but only if you tell me why you were crying" Sirius countered

"I was just scared Sirius, for Rem, really it wasn't a big deal, I just, I need to go" she sped off the other way down the corridor and back towards the dorms. 

He could tell she was lying, at least she wasn't telling the full truth.

Sirius' mind was consumed with his interaction with Selene as he headed down the passage to the Shack. Countless questions flew through his mind, none of them having any answers. That was the most upset he'd ever seen Selene and she brushed him off completely. 

Sirius knew how strong she was and he also knew how good she was at hiding things, but he didn't want her to put up walls, especially from Remus and the rest of her friends.

But one thing about Selene Rowle, if she didn't want you to know something, you didn't know it.

742 words

third chapter today woohoo 

does anyone else have raging daddy issues?

vote & comment!