62. getting even

The original plan was to go to a campsite up north but Remus felt Sirius pulling him away to a different destination. They all landed at a small hotel in the middle of an unfamiliar town.

"What was that Sirius?" Remus started

"I'm sorry but I cannot sleep in a tent with that snoring buffoon for another night or I will kill him" Sirius pointed at James

"What I don't snore?"

"James it sounds like there is a creature living inside you that screams while you sleep!" he huffed dramatically

"That was so graphic" James said which Sirius answered with a death stare,

"Fine we will stay in a hotel" he rolled his eyes "Where even are we?"

"Just some small town near London" Sirius told him, heading inside.

Sirius got three rooms, all next to each other with doors connecting them from inside. The hotel was small and looked like it hadn't seen any guests in a long time. There was one lady, old enough to be their grandmother working behind the counter.

James was put alone in one of the rooms while Peter and Sirius shared the second and Remus and Selene took the third. Around midday they all gathered in Peter and Sirius' room, on account of it being sandwiched between the others.

"We should go into the town" Sirius suggested,

"Is that safe?" James asked

"The population is less than a thousand people I think we are fine, we can get more food and firewood too."

"I guess why not" Remus shrugged. They were all getting very stir crazy and a trip to town, no matter how small, would hopefully anchor their sanity for a little longer.

"What do you think will happen to the death eaters we left by the caves?" Peter asked as they walked to the town

"In a day when they don't come back, someone will go looking for them, and hopefully when they find them they will have the decency to stop sending mindless shits after us" Sirius rolled his eyes

"Hear hear" Selene high fived him 

They restocked on food and firewood at a local grocery story, making their way to alley behind the store, to put it in the bag. There were lots of people filtering in and out of the parking lot, walking passed the entrance to the alley.

"What should we do?" James asked watching as two girls walked by

"We can't let anyone see us..." Sirius trailed off.

"I got this" Remus said, grabbing Selene's waist and pushing her up against the alley wall, aggressively kissing her. At first Selene was taken by surprise but soon got the message as a man and a woman walked passed the alley entrance, and briefly saw the two kids kissing, and hurried away averting their gaze.

The marauders reaction mirrored Selene's, from shock to understanding. They quickly loaded all the supplies into the backpack, while Remus and Selene made more onlookers extremely uncomfortable. 

Once they finished, Remus broke away from Selene with a smirk on his face. She exhaled and fixed her shirt and her hair.

"Thanks" she nodded at Remus, who just laughed, enjoying seeing her so flustered

"That was something I'll never un-see" Sirius gagged

"Truly scaring" Peter added

"Ew" James shuddered.

"Shut up, it worked, now let's go." Remus rolled his eyes.

They found a small diner on the main stretch of restaurants, and got a seat in the back at a wrap around booth. Their waitress who looked about twenty, walked over obnoxiously chewing gum and staring at her pad of paper.

"Welcome to Diner how may I help you today?" she said in a monotone voice.

"Could we just get five waters and two baskets of chips?" Sirius asked. The waitress looked up at Sirius and instantly changed her attitude. She twirled her blonde hair in between her fingers and blew a large bubble from her gum,

"Is that all you want?" she asked, her voice nasally and odd.

"That should be fine for now" he smirked. She scurried away back to the kitchen leaving a smug Sirius and his four uninterested friends,

"Oh that is so not fair, they can get some, but I can't?" he asked accusingly at Selene and Remus

"I'm not judging" She said trying to keep a straight face. The waitress returned with five waters and handed them out all while eyeing Sirius,

"Thank you darling" he said smoothly as she placed a water in front of him,

"I'll have the chips right out" she blushed retreating to the back once more.

"Do you think Romilda will come after you again?" James asked Selene

"Of course she will" she said surely

"Really?" Peter spoke up

"She's not the type of person to act sane, let us not forget she is in love with Theodore Nott"

"I will never understand that" Sirius shook his head

"No one will" Remus added.

"But she'll be back, it doesn't matter though, it's just like dealing with an annoying younger sibling" she rolled her eyes

"I thought she was nice to you in school?" Peter questioned

"She was, probably just to get close with Nott. After word got out about me and Remus-"

"Word got out? Bitch please you kissed me in front of the entire school" he teased sipping his water innocently through the straw

"Okay after I kissed Remus in front of everyone she got all personal and weird with me about Theodore, I should've realized how excited she was that the wedding was supposedly off."

The waitress came back with two baskets of fries on tray that she placed on the table, while checking Sirius out some more.

"Thank you" he spoke

"Of course" she nodded playing with her hair as she walked away,

"If you would excuse me I have to go to the bathroom" he smirked. They all groaned. Peter scooted out of the booth, followed by James, allowing Sirius to follow. He strutted back to the bathrooms, where their waitress soon followed.

"So you think they will find us in a day or two?" James asked

"I think they'll find the shits we left at the beach in a day or two, we probably have four or five days, a week tops until they find us" she explained, "Just guessing though"

Her guess turned out to be pretty spot on.

july 14, 1977

Four days later on Thursday, they were all in the hotel room cleaning up from dinner, when there was a knock on the door.

"Housekeeping" A voice said. If there was one thing they had learned in their time at their hotel, it was that they did not offer housekeeping.

There were mysterious bugs crawling on the ceilings, flickering fluorescent lights in the bathroom, that definitely would trigger a seizure of you looked at it too long.

When you put any weight on the bed the springs creaked like a dying animal. In James' room there was a dark stain on the wallpaper that bled into the carpet. They decided they would all be happiest if they left the stain unidentified.

So, no, there was not housekeeping, and they all knew it. They grabbed their wands and pointed them at the door just before it was blasted in.

Five death eaters barreling through firing spells furiously. Each of the teens quickly started dueling with one of the masked men.

Selene was trying to get a look to see if she could identify any of the death eaters as Romilda, but the man she was dueling was so angrily firing spells at her she could barely cast a shield charm in time, let alone fire a spell back at him.

She backed up trying to keep up with the spells flying at her. She felt her back hit the wall, and began to feel boxed in. There were hexes flying around the room, jets of different colored lights colliding with walls and cabinets, causing all kinds of destruction.

Selene fired multiple stunning spells, but whoever she was dueling, blocked them easily, advancing towards her. She panicked and continued shooting hexes and spells at him in hopes of someway to buy her time but she was too late. 

In one last attempt she shot a disarming spell at him which hit him, knocking his wand away, but he remained unfazed, pressing his arm against hers, keeping her wand hand pinned above her head.

"I'm surprised you haven't killed me yet" she choked out through the pain in her arm

"I'm not letting you off that easy, not after what you did." he said in a cold voice. He withdrew a dagger from his cloak and pressed it against her throat.

It was a small dagger, less than a foot long, with a rose quartz handle, and an engraving on it that read,

Rosier.

She recognized it to be property of the girl she had just left on the beach earlier that week but she was most definitely not in front of Romilda right now. 

"Evan?" she asked. His masked disolved revealing a stone look on his face as he held the dagger against her neck.

The other boys tried to temporarily fend off their opponents, even just long enough to help Selene, but the hexes raining down on them kept them firmly where they were, only able to steal glances of the girl pressed up against the wall.

"You are going to die, just like she did" Evan said

"Like who?" she asked

"Romilda."

"Romilda isn't dead I left her on the beach"

"Don't play dumb with me Rowle, you slit her throat with her own dagger, and left her to rot on that beach."

"Evan I don't know what game you're playing I didn't kill your sister" she said fearfully. She knew what grief could drive people to do, and of Evan truly believed her to be responsible for his sister's death, he would definitely kill her.

"Yes you did. You slit her throat with this knife, and now I'm going to do the same to you, in front of all the people you love most." he said coldly

1.6k words

phew

hey, i'm kinda busy this weekend so i won't get to update a ton, sorry to leave you on a cliffhanger 

vote and comment!