85. one

november 19, 1977

Sirius' nineteenth birthday came and went and nothing had changed. 

Selene and Remus were finally being seen as humans again as opposed to fugitives, Sirius still cycled through girls like he did clothes, even Peter had found a cute girl to sneak away with, but Lily and James still weren't labeled. 

Lily spent the days after Halloween endlessly apologizing to James after coming to the reality of what she said, which he of course forgave her, even though Remus and Sirius thought he was still hurt deep under all his love for her. 

Despite her desperate apologies Lily still spent her nights tossing and turning in her bed wondering why James hasn't asked her. 

She felt they were on too thin of ice to bring it up, but they were approaching three weeks since Halloween and not even an update on where James stood. Only his last words in the conversation on October 30, 

"I definitely have something in the works so watch your back"

Was he just saying that to make it less awkward? To comfort her? Did he change his mind? Was he actually going to break up with her instead? These kinds of questions robbed Lily of her sleep. 

And for the past three weeks, her boy problems had become her roommates boy problems as well, by nature of default. 

Mary and Selene had bonded a lot while listening to Lily "bitch and mope" about James, as they'd like to refer to it.

Selene learned that in fourth year Sirius took Mary's virginity and after that they dated for more than four months before, to Selene's shock, Mary broke up with him. Usually Sirius made sure to end it with the girl before they got the wrong idea and committed to a long term relationship. 

She also learned that the last boy Marlene snogged before coming out as lesbian was also in fact Sirius, a piece of trivia that the girls teased Sirius about relentlessly. 

So no one was surprised when that morning as the five got ready for Hogsmeade, Lily paced nervously 'bitching and moping' about what to wear to Hogsmeade just in case James asked her out. 

"Lily I swear if you don't shut up, I'll ask you out" Marlene groaned

"Selene do you know anything, did Remus tell you anything?" she asked nervously, ignoring Marlene's comment while biting her nails

"No Lils, I already told you a thousand times, James swore Remus to secrecy"

"Ugh!" she groaned angrily 

"If second year Lily saw her now she'd be so disappointed" Mary whispered to Selene as they watched the distressed girl

"If fifth year her right now she'd be disappointed" Selene laughed prompting a pillow to be thrown at them courtesy of Lily.

"Get out before I hex you" she narrowed her eyes warningly. 

"Fine but wear the navy shirt, the low cut one, it's a good color on you and it shows enough but not too much" Mary smirked heading out of the room

"Ooo yes, with your white jeans" Selene added

"Oh so now you want to help?" she rolled her eyes

————————————————

"You got detention, are you serious?" Selene huffed angrily as Mary walked back into the common room from her trip to the dungeons to grab a book she left in potions.