Chapter Thirteen : Journey To The Woods

~☆~

~☆~

They did and Gandalf with the help of Aeradriel, convinced Beorn to let them stay - once explained what they were wanting to do. He also offered to serve breakfast. 

Aeradriel's POV 

Once the we had all sat down at the over-sized table, varieties of fruits and bread along with tankards of milk were served to us. Beorn started to pour some fresh milk into Fili's cup as he turned to Thorin who was slouched against a wooden pillar. 

"So you are the one they call Oakenshield? Tell me why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?" He asked turning to fill the wide-eyed dwarf as he started to walk away towards me.

"You know of Azog? How?" Thorin returned with a question. 

"Everyone knows of him, Thorin" I answered for Beorn as he passed me. "No one has forgotten him" As I said this I felt a hand on my shoulder, the skin changer stood there with a look to say he was going to tell the story. I nodded looking down slightly at his shackled wrist. 

"My people were the first to live in the mountains, before the orcs came down from the near north. The defiler killed most of us, but some he enslaved" Some of the company noticed his wrist and started, but none said anything about it. "Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him." He finished looking down slightly. 

"And you will never go back there again, my friend" I reassured before An intrigued hobbit spoke up. 

"There are others like you?" Interest was in his eyes as he brought his tankard to his mouth. I already knew the answer to his question. 

"Once there were many" Beorn answered shortly looking away again to the side. 

"And now?" Bilbo pushed on. 

"Now there is only one. You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn" He changed the subject, sitting down on a stool that was slightly away from our crowded table. 

"Before Durin's day falls, yes" I saw Thorin tense at Gandalf's words as his shoulders went ridged as he shifted uncomfortably. 

"You are running out of time" Beorn stated as Kili and Fili rolled their eyes from next to me. Of course, we were running out of time. We have had to tread lightly with Azog following close by. "Which is why you must go through Mirkwood" 

"Of course" I sighed standing up and walking to lean against the door. Mirkwood. A place once called Greenwood, home to King Thranduil, his son Legolas and the woodland elves. They say that they have grown more vicious through the years, more hidden behind their closed doors. I know this because I have stayed there, many times as have they in Penathor. I and Legolas grew up as best friends, but I ran from Mirkwood 500 years ago when my brother, Samrion went through a trial and vanished. I was not looking forward to going back there, I am not the person I was then and I never will be.