Chapter Twenty-Five : The forges

~☆~

~☆~

Third Person's POV

"This way!" Thorn ordered as he, Balin and Bilbo ran out from the western guardroom and onto the bridge. 

"Flee! Flee!" Smaug snarled appearing from a higher corner. "Run for your lives! There is nowhere to hide" He crawled down to the level of the bridge making the trio stop looking at him in fear. 

However, he failed to see another trio of dwarves running across a second bridge. "Behind you!" Dori alerted him making the dragon turn and lunge at them, letting Thorin, Balin and Bilbo escape to the other side. 

Smaug began to chase Dori, Ori and Bombur as a third group run across yet another bridge and call out to the angered dragon. "Hey, you! Here!" Dwalin yelled.

Smaug turned and jumped at them. They ran off the bridge and into a tunnel just before Smaug's claw landed where they were. The fourth group, Gloin and Bifur, use this chance to run across a bridge and make it into a tunnel as well. Angrily, Smaug blows fire after them. He blew rapidly in an arc all around him, into all the tunnels. His fire causes the stones beneath Gloin and Bifur to glow in heat. They reached a cliff and leap into the air, landing in large troughs which they slid down. They landed in the buckets of a large hanging conveyor belt system used in the past for mining.

Aeradriel's POV

I watched as Bifur and Gloin escaped down the old mining conveyor belt and took this as my chance to jump onto the bridge behind Smaug. 

"Behind you!" I taunted as he turned around, his face nearing dangerously close to me. 

"You finally joined us" He spat as I backed up slightly. "Traitor!" He roared swinging his tail around jut missing the top of my head. 

"If you want them" I twirled my knives in my hands, glaring at him slightly. "You are going to have to kill me, and we both know you would never do that" I told them as he let a breathy laugh causing smoke to breath out of his nostrils.

"You're right. I will kill you last only to see you watch them die first" As he said this he used his claw, pushing me back against the carved doorway behind me before gliding down below. 

Picking myself up I realized where he was going and followed the pathway. I was given a brief tour years ago when I first visited Erebor, so let's hope I remembered the way. 

Third Person's POV

Thorin, Balin and Bilbo run through a wide structured hallway with a drop of mechanisms at the end. 

"This way! It's this way! Come on!" Balin yelled at the other two as he and Bilbo turn into a side tunnel. Thorin however, keeps running. 

"Thorin!" Bilbo shouts making the dwarven king turn around and look at them. He went to run at them, but Smaug's head emerges from the other side of the hall.