Chapter Twenty-Three : Awakening

~☆~

~☆~

"That, Master Burglar. Is why you are here" 

Third person's POV 

Bilbo and Balin made their way down a dark corridor that led to from the secret door and further into the mountain's halls. You could see the unrest and slight terror and confusion in the hobbit's eyes as he turned towards the white haired dwarf. 

"You want me to find a jewel?" He asked quietly, sending Balin a confused look as the dwarf cleared his throat. 

"A large white jewel, yes" Balin answered him.

"That's it?" Bilbo asked, shooting a look down the corridor in front of him as they stopped at a corner. "Only I imagine there are quite a few down there" 

"There's only one Arkenstone" The dwarf replied and Bilbo had a small frown on his face at his companion's sparse help and information. "You'll know it when you see it" he added as he looked at Bilbo with a rather conflicted look upon his bearded face. "In truth, lad. I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to. There's no dishonour in turning back" Balin looked at him with a smile. 

Bilbo shook his head, "No, Balin. I promised I would do this and I think I must try" 

"It never ceases to amaze me" Balin chuckled. "The courage of hobbits" He added seeing the confused look upon Bilbo's face. 

Bilbo smiled at him, but there was still fear in his eyes as he gazed down the hallway.

"Go now, with as much luck as you can muster" Balin urged him on and he started to walk away turning around the corner when Balin called out. "Oh, and Bilbo, If there is in fact an uh... live Dragon down there... Don't waken it" 

The hobbit nodded in return and began to walk off when he turned back to see the glimpse of a coat disappearing around the corner. He sighed and braced himself for what he could find down there. Walking further and further into the mountain and closer to the dragon's lair.

Bilbo quietly walked through a large doorway and finds himself in a massive hall. He whispered out loud. "Hello?" He knocked quietly on the wall beside him, but the sound is intensified loudly as it echoes, He jumped back and pressed himself against the wall in shock. Seeing no reaction to the noise, Bilbo walked out into the hall on an elevated walkway.

"You're not at home. Not at home. Good. Good, good, good" 

He walked on to the top of a staircase, before stopping, his mouth hanging open in shock. He looked to see mountains of gold, jewels, weapons, cups, and all sorts of treasure piled dozens of feet high all throughout the immensely massive hall. Bilbo climbed down the stairs and carefully began to walk atop the treasure. He tried to be quiet but the coins and jewels beneath his feet make a lot of noise. The hobbit started to poke around, looking for the Arkenstone. He finds a large white jewel and examined it.