27. Old Moves

"How do you plan on getting out of the ice?" Four asked with his arms crossed and leaned back in his chair. I was still trying to catch my breath. The practice sims aren't getting any easier and after hearing everyone's fears I had new ones.

"Theo."

"Can you give me a sec, shit you just died" I put my head in my hands and leaned forward.

"You shattered the ice like it was nothing. If you do that in the final test people are going to get suspicious." Four stood up and walked over to me. "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know" I looked up at him and shrugged. "I'll figure something out."

"Theo you need to figure it out before your final sim" Four said frustrated.

"I'll figure it out" I stood up and got ready to leave the room

"You finished too early. Go out the back" Four went back to sit at the computer and I went out the back exit.

I didn't really know the way through this exit so there were times I got turned around. At one point I stopped and tried to orient myself. Finally I figured out the way and ran into Al.

He looked upset as he sat along the edge of the chasm.

"Hey you ok?" I put my hand on his shoulder and he jumped

"Shit Theo!" Al had almost leaned to far into the chasm but pulled himself back.

"I'm sorry I thought you heard me." I sat down next to him. He still was kind of shaken up. "Are you ok?"

"I don't know" he answered after a moment. "These simulations are just getting to me"

"They're getting to everyone Al. I think that's the point of them" I noticed how defeated he looked.

"Not for you or Tris. What is it that you guys do?" Al faced me. "Some weird abnegation breathing exercise?" I laughed but he was serious.

"I don't know Al. I'm dealing with my fears the best way I can." I put my hand on his shoulder and he shrugged me off.

"But why can you do it better than everyone else? What is your secret?" Al's expression turned aggressive.

"Al, you need to calm do-"

"Don't tell me to calm down when I'm at risk of losing everything!" Al stood up and stormed off. He left me there confused and worried. Did he really think there was a secret to dealing with your fears. There was. You just have to be divergent. I wasn't going to tell him that. Oh you just have to be an abomination to the faction system.

I left the chasm not long after Al left. I knew I had a while until any of my friends where done and there was no way I was going to talk to Al. Going to train had become my favorite past time. It didn't take long for results started to show. I had more defined muscle in my arms and legs. Much so I wore a short sports top that came above my bellybutton and long black leggings. My tattoo peeked through the breaks in my clothing. The more progress I saw the more I wanted to work on it and admittedly show off.

Now that the initiates were done with the first stage, the training room was open to everyone. The moment we started the simulations was the moment everyone returned to train. There was always someone training whether it was at the shooting range or throwing knives. There was even a daily sign up to fight in the rings. The mentality of being the best radiated throughout the room and it was intoxicating.

When I stepped in the room it was it's usual busy. I heard someone yell and noticed it was Lynn fighting another Dauntless initiate. I jogged over and cheered her on as she put him in a chokehold.