34. Unexpected Connections

"I don't know what to say" Tris looked at me softly.

"There's nothing to say." I shrugged. "I mean even saying nothing still says something." The Erudite buildings came into view and we walked toward the central building.

"Do you want something with Eric?" Tris asked cautiously.

"It doesn't matter now," I answered honestly as we began up the steps. "I just know that I'm done."

"What about Uriah?"

"What about him?" I raised my brow.

"C'mon Theo, you can't pretend that you and Uriah don't have a connection" Tris paused at the top of the steps. "Uriah is a good guy who cares about you. Maybe you should give him a shot." she shrugged at me while I looked around at the sea of faces dressed in blue. Each of them noting Tris and I.

"How about we make this quick?" I glanced around to the prying eyes.

"You're avoiding the subject" she answered as she held the door open for me.

"Yes, I am" we walked on wood-paneled floor and took in the wall to wall bookcases. The center of the room was filled with rows of people sitting at computers. It made sense that the main building of Erudite was a library or research space of sorts. Caleb must love it here. I'm sure he had no problem settling in to this environment.

"There" Tris walked up to the front desk where a young man sat behind it.

"How can I help you?" he said without looking up from his desk.

"I am looking for someone, his name is Caleb. Do you know where I can find him?" Tris asked.

"I am not permitted to give out personal information," he replies blandly.

"He's my brother"

"I am not permi-" Tris slammed her palm on the desk in front of him, jerking him out of his daze. I turned around to see if anyone was distracted from their work to look up. I only saw one stand up.

His expression of confusion turned into a small grin the moment we made eye contact. Caleb's hair was shorter than before, cleaner cut. He looked so strange in blue. I always pictured him in grey. No surprise he had a book in his hand. What was strange was the rectangular glasses he wore. As he approached I smacked Tris at her side to gain her attention, but she was repeating herself.

"Theodora" Caleb smiled and I couldn't help but return the gesture. I never liked hearing my full name. For so many years it meant I was being summoned or scolded by my father. Caleb had changed that. He had lessened the impact of 'Theodora'.

"Hi Caleb" I responded causing Tris to turn around. Tris ran to him and threw her arms around his shoulders. He maintained eye contact with me as he embraced his sister. When she finally let go he closed the gap between us. Caleb was always handsome, even now. He had a boyish charm and a sweetness about him. His warm hazel eyes were a welcomed sight.

He wrapped his arm around me like he had done so many times before and it was just as comforting as before.

"You look good" he said softly

"You too" I responded and pulled away.

"You have a tattoo" he finally said to Tris.

"You have glasses" Tris turned to look at him. "Your vision is perfect, Caleb, what are you doing?"

"Come on, Let's get out of here" Caleb glanced around the tables that now watched our every move.

The three of us exit the building and cross the street over to what looked like a park. In the center was a metal sculpture that resembled bean and another a mammoth. Once we made it to the concrete surrounding the bean, I stopped a while away.