30. Cold Venom

Eric and I sat on his couch for what felt like a few moments after breakfast when we heard a knock at the door. He answered it and said nothing but opened the door wider allowing Tris to walk in. She walked in cautiously and looked around until she saw me. 

"Hi" her small greeting made Eric roll his eyes.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I asked as I sat up on the couch and invited her to join me. Eric left us in his living room and walked onto the raised platform where his bed was. Tris sat down on the edge of the couch. She still looked around like she was waiting for another attack. "Hey" I put my hand on her arm. "Are you ok?" before she could answer Eric's voiced overpowered whatever thought she had. 

"Theo" He had used his leader voice which immediately received a scowl from me. He kept his face devoid of any expression and motioned me over. I excused myself and stepped to the platform and stood by his tall dresser while he closed the sliding door that separated his bedroom from the rest of the apartment. "I have a meeting. Lock up when you're done with your therapy session" He slipped a key into my hand. "Keep it, in case you ever want to use it."

"Does this mean we're serious?" I asked sarcastically. "Don't I have to ask Max for permission?"

"Shut up" Eric laughed as he kissed my forehead. "I got to go" and I watched as he switched into Eric the dauntless leader. He said nothing as he passed by Tris and left the apartment. 

"Should we go?" Tris asked.

"In a bit, it'll give him time to stomp his way through, you know he loves to march around like he runs the place." I joined her back on the couch. 

"What's going on with you two? I thought you said there was nothing between you" Tris looked confused and also hurt. I remember when she first asked about Eric, during that conversation we had gotten closer and it felt like I lied to her.

"At the time there was nothing." I sighed. "Eric isn't all bad, he has his moments. He's like a fungus. He grows on you" I tried to assure her.

"That's one way to put it, Four thinks he's bad news" Tris sounded like she agreed with the sentiment. I would be foolish to think Eric was good for me. He wasn't, he was actively hunting Divergents. He was hunting for Four, for me. Whenever I was alone I knew how stupid it was to allow Eric in so close. Not just for me but for my brother and the sneaking suspicion for Tris too.

"Of course he said that, but Eric was the one that pulled you over the railing last night."

"He did?" I wasn't surprised she didn't think he would something like that. Eric did hang Christina over that same railing during phase one. "I thought you and Four did"

"I tried but couldn't, and Four didn't show up until after we got you over"

"I just assumed..." Tris looked around the apartment embarrassed. 

"That it was Four who saved you" I finished. The room fell silent and I had a nagging feeling. "Hey Tris can I ask what your aptitude results were?" I watched as she visibly tensed and then relaxed.

"They were Abnegation" She said as her gaze met mine and that look alone told me everything. She was divergent, just like me. Just like Four.

"So was mine" I met her with the same intensity and confirmed what we had both suspected of each other. "We should head out" I took the key Eric gave me and locked the door behind us. Tris gave me a questioning look that I ignored and we made our way to the dining hall. I linked my arm through hers and together we walked in the crowded hallway. Tris was walking slower and moving like she was still in pain. It was for show. I gave her a small smile and understood her strategy. I was also glad because my body was still recovering from yesterday. My body was bruised and aching. There was no way of avoiding the glares as it was painfully obvious both of us were in some kind of altercation recently.