31. Fine

The summer air was surprisingly crisp. I remember this day. It was a few months before we took our aptitude test. The day was long and I didn't want to go home yet, not after last night. I always loved just staring at the sunset. The different colors that blended into each other was captivating. It was my favorite and worst part of my day. Once the sun had dipped below the horizon, I had no choice but to go home. For now I would enjoy this time for as long as I could.

"What happened there?" Caleb's hand reached for my wrist lifting it closer to him. Marcus' lesson from the night before. He had heard the snide comment under my breath and he was sure to let me know this. 

"Oh I was carrying bags and I guess they were too heavy for just one hand." I pulled my sleeve back down and sounded as casual as I could. I leaned back into him placing my head on his shoulder. Caleb kissed the top of my head, I could feel him frowning against my head. 

"He hurt you didn't he?" Caleb barely said above a whisper. I pulled away to look at him. I remembered this day, I remembered the conversation. Ask me for help next time. That's what he told me that day. 

"What?" I was still shocked at how candid he was. "What are you talking about?"

"Your father, he hurt you again" Caleb looked directly at me, analyzing me. "You always try to hide it, you always try to pretend it doesn't hurt. But I see you Theodora." His hand went to my cheek and his thumb grazed my cheek.

"I don't know what-" I tried to finish but his face told me he knew I was lying. His eyes softened and I tried to scramble to say anything. And Caleb just watched me. "I-I" my throat felt tight and I could say the words. I couldn't lie anymore. 

"A few more months." His thumb brushed against my cheek now smearing a fallen tear. "A few more months and I'll get you out of there. We'll get married and you'll be safe" I was at a loss for words. I figured he suspected, but never really expected him to say anything. "I love you Theodora." Caleb leaned in gently and pressed a soft kiss on my lips. 

I could see it. 

I could see our life together. Having a small ceremony just for show. Moving in and decorating our home together with modesty but with small bits of our personalities. We could have a small case for his books, I didn't know how many he had but I knew it was a few of them. I could have a little corner where I could knit or sew. 

I could see all of it.

I could see us having a family. A little girl. I wanted a daughter. Visions of holding her small body in my arms. I could see her huge blue eyes looking at me. Like pools of frozen water, so familiar and beautiful. 

Theo!

"Theo!" My eyes snapped open to Will shaking me. Everyone was starting to get up.

"It's Al" was all Christina said. Tris said nothing as she rushed out of bed. We all started to move towards The Pit. The sounds of our bare feet hitting the stone floor was now overwhelmed by the crowd murmuring around the chasm. 

There on the bridge. 

Two men were hoisting something up. No, someone. No, Al... I couldn't see his face but I would recognize his giant frame anywhere. His body dangled lifeless, bouncing off of the stone walls. Christina turned away and into Tris' arms. Tris was focused on the scene in front of her. Once they finally pulled him over the ledge we could see his face. All color was drained from him. All but the black of his eyes. Empty. They were empty. 

Tris sunk to the floor taking Christina with her. I crouched next to them putting my hand on her back, providing comfort I hoped. Someone brought out a body bag and Tris groaned. She didn't need to see this.