36. Final Trial

Eventually I made it back to the room where an eager Christina welcomed me. Her and Will finally kissed. It was a welcomed distraction and I was happy for them both. It was obvious to anyone looking that they liked each other. It's finally nice to see them realize it.

Tris was missing. She was gone practically all night. I heard her sneak back in early in the morning. I'm sure my brother was the reason. He looked happy when he was with her, and she felt secure in herself. I was happy for the both of them. Happy to see how Tobias lit up around her. I'm sure it was a welcome change from his normal indifference.

I was happy for my friends. That was the only thing I allowed myself to feel about them. Jealousy and anger are two heavy emotions, ones I would keep to myself. I didn't dare jealous to seep through. I contained it within me when Christina talked so easily about her and Will. I contained it within me when Tris would talk about my brother or ask questions wanting to know more about him. I could see the attraction then, but now it shifted. It's deeper now.

And I was jealous. I was angry. I was hurt.

I wanted this day over with and the best way was to sleep until it was time. Sleep that only lasted for a few hours.

"Hey" Christina nudged me. "It's time" Our group had decided to stay in the dorms until it was time for our last trial. The pit and dining hall was chaos. Everyone was out and already drinking before noon. It was insane. Will, Christina, Tris and I all walked out together. All of us carrying a look of anxiety and stress. We were going to face our fears, literally. We walked up the stairs to the glass room and I could see Marlene in the chair. I found Uriah sitting down. Him and other 4 dauntless born were left. Tobias was off to one corner giving me a look of confidence or reassurance. I looked around the room and noticed the screens both inside and outside the room. It monitored heart rate and Marlene's was beating fast. The chair where Marlene sat was in the center of the room. Wires connected from her head to a computer. A line of people where the room with her but seat right in front of a window. The rest of us were separated outside the room and window was our only sneak peek of the final simulation. I recognized Eric right away. He was seated next to Max and other older Dauntless leaders. They each had blank stares on their faces, they were observing her simulation. Her fears were on display for them to judge.

"Hey" Uriah called from the row of chairs behind those. "You can sit on my lap if you want" he patted his thigh jokingly.

"Just scoot a cheek over" I motioned with my hand. Last night before we left each other we agreed that we would remain friends. Nothing would change between us unless we both wanted. I made sure not to give him false hope and he not get his hopes up. I was grateful to see his was the same Uriah, the same friend he had always been.

"Lynn already went" Uriah said as soon as I sat down. "She made good time" I nodded as Marlene finished her simulation and the leaders congratulated her.

"Transfers, the order in which you will go through your final test will be taken from your rankings as they now stand." Tobias announced. "Drew will go first and Theo will go last" I looked up at the rankings and was surprised to see I was still ranked number one. He didn't change the ranking. He probably figured it would be worse punishment to go last. To have to watch everyone go before me and just let my fears intensify. Or maybe he wanted me to see how well the other do so I'll know by how much I have to beat them. I doubt it's the latter.

One by one.

Minute by Minute.

Everyone went through their fear landscapes. I watch how they jerked and moved in that steel chair. How their heat rates would shoot up to the point of danger. Then it would be all over. They would wake up from their fear landscape and metal shutters on the window would close.

"You'll be fine" Tobias stood next to me as we both watched Tris in her fear landscape. "Be quick and think like a Dauntless" He nudged me gently.

"My hearts going to explode." I raked my hand through my hair.

"No it's not." Tobias looked at me. "Theo you're already Dauntless. You've more than proved that during training. Don't doubt yourself now" He placed his hand on my shoulder. "You got this, I know you do" he smiled proudly.

"Thanks" I breathed just as Tris finished. Eric congratulated her and the metal shutters closed once again.

"You got this." Tobias repeated as the door opened and Tris walked out rubbing her neck.

"Theo" I heard Eric call from the room. I looked back at my brother one last time and walked into the room. I sat down in the metal chair, still warm from Tris' presence and looked around the room. Eric began hooking up the electrodes on my head and then on my pulse points. "Relax" he said beneath his breath. I looked at him and felt an instant ping of relief. "Breathe" He said as he drew up the syringe with the orange liquid. I met his eyes. Those icy blue eyes that I always searched for. Those same eyes comforting me right now. "Ready?" he asked out loud this time. I couldn't find any words. No I wasn't ready, but I nodded my head. "Good luck Theo" Eric brushed my hair away from my neck, a gentle gesture that was quickly replaced with the prick of a needle. Darkness took over.