5. Training Begins

My eyes closed and I slept for what seemed only a few moments when I heard the banging of metal. I had always been a light sleeper. Marcus was a monster and I never knew what he was capable of and as a result I woke up at the slightest noise.

"Get up, eat and be in the training room by 8." Tobias's voice boomed through the room. I winced as I sat up in my bed.

"You're sore too?" Will a transfer from Erudite whose bunk was next to mine. He strained to stand up.

"Yea you could say that." I got up and walked over to the bathroom and got ready. It was open with nothing but the shower stalls giving the minimum amount of privacy. I waited for Christina and Tris to finished getting ready and took breakfast to go. I wished we would've cherished the time before training a little longer.

Tobias reviewed the 3 stages of training we would have to do as he handed each of us a gun. It felt heavy in my hand, so foreign like from a different world. Tobias continued his speech when Peter interrupted.

"But what..." he yawned "What does firing a gun have to do with ... bravery?" In seconds Tobias stood in front of him and pressed the barrel into Peter's forehead.

"Wake.Up. You are holding a loaded gun, you fucking idiot. Act like it." his word were sharp and voice dark and threatening.

I had never imagined Tobias in that way, to even consider him as anything than my caring older brother I couldn't fathom. I looked down when he passed me as others did. We climbed stairs to the roof. The roof top was set up as a shooting range and targets lined one side. Tobias lined us up and we started to aim at our targets. I felt the weight of the gun again wrapped my hands around it.

"Four" I heard Eric's voice call out and I tightened my grip. I continued to aim without actually firing.

"Any day Stiff!" Eric yelled. I saw Tris jump and then relax when she realized he wasn't speaking to her. I could hear his footsteps on the gravel until I felt him behind me.

"Shoot the target. Now!" I pulled back on the trigger and watched the bullet enter one of the circles that was supposed to identify as a headshot until the gun made a clicking sound. I looked up at look at him and felt the weight of his hand smack my shoulder.

"Not bad for a Stiff" he walked down the line watching and evaluating the rest of us. His presence made me feel uncomfortable. As I got used to it I found that I'm actually pretty good at shooting. Clip after clip I shot at my target, and hardly missed. I just felt the power radiate from the gun into me. I couldn't notice the weigh of it anymore. It just felt apart of me.

We were given our break for lunch and descended down the stairs into the dinning hall. We found a table next to Uriah and other dauntless-born. Tris and Christina talked to Al who transferred from Candor and Will. I sat across Uriah who greeted me.

"Hey there, first jumper."

"Hey" I filled my plate.

"So how did it feel?" Uriah asked suggestively.

"What?" I said through a mouth full of food. The food here was so much better than Abnegation, I have to stop from overfilling my mouth.

"Shooting a gun, isn't that what you guys did?"

"Yea! I don't know how Theo was able to actual hit a target with Eric breathing down her neck like that." Christina and one of her classic Candor outbursts.

"Wait, What?!" Uriah was about to take a sip of his drink before pulling it away. "You actual hit the target your first time!?"

"And with Eric watching you?!" Marlene one of Uriah's friends asked.

"Yea I guess" I shrugged and went to take another bit.

"Well I guess we have to step up our game" Uriah shot me a wink.

"Only if you know what's good for you." I smiled coyly. Uriah smile grew and he shook his head in amusement.