9. A Proper Introduction

We were dismissed after the bridge incident and Christina decided to go lay down. Tris and I ate dinner together as I looked for Tobias. Tris finished early and took a plate for Christina. I walked to the entrance and saw Tobias talking to Eric.

"That wasn't necessary" Tobias argued.

"No, but it got the point across." Eric rebutted.

"Which is?"

"Cowardice will not be accepted." Eric left into the dinning hall eyeing me as he did.

"Is everything ok?" I asked Tobias.

"Come with me." was all he said. I followed him through a series of hallways and then finally up a winding staircase. He opened the door and we were on the roof across from the shooting range. There was a few chairs and a crate being used as a table off to the side. Tobias walked over and sat down and I followed. I took in the view. I had never seen Chicago this high up or at night. It was peaceful. The only light coming from Erudite headquarters.

"Nice right?" Tobias asked and I nodded, not looking away from the sites. "I remember the first time I came up here as an initiate. I felt like I could finally breathe". He leaned back in his chair and we sat in silence for a while. "I heard his voice too during my first fight" Tobias said after a few moments. My head snapped to him. "Marcus has a way of getting in your head when you least expect it."

"I felt like I lost all control and the only thing I could hear was his voice and I just wanted it to go away." I looked at hands. I could still feel the warmth of Drew's blood on them.

"I wish I could say it will eventually go away, but I wouldn't know"

"Do you still hear him?" I stared back at the Erudite tower and back at him.

"Sometimes" Tobias leaned back.

"I feel guilty about Drew" I finally said.

"Don't" Tobias' voice was harsh. "You did good, and if the roles were reversed, he wouldn't give a shit about you Theo." I knew he was right. "You can make it through initiation, but you have to be ruthless."

"I know" I shook my head in agreement.

"When people are at risk of becoming factionless, they'll do anything necessary to stay. I've seen it" He rubbed his hands together. "I can't risk someone seeing you getting special treatment."

Suddenly the door to the rooftop swung open and I could see Zeke and someone else behind him.

"Four!" Zeke punched Tobias's shoulder and sat next to him. "Hey Theo" Zeke said coyly and looked over his shoulder to Uriah.

"Hey" I said as Uriah sat on the crate.

"Hi" Uriah responded.

"Ok we're here Four, what's so important?" Zeke looked between Me and Tobias.

"Theo, Zeke is practically my brother and I trust him fully. I know he won't say anything. Same with Uriah."

"Wait..." Zeke paused. "Is this is her!?" Tobias nodded and Zeke stood up to pull me into a hug. "Finally! We've been waiting for you. Why didn't you tell me earlier." Zeke punched Tobias again. "She is nothing like you! She's actually funny." I looked over at Uriah who looked more shocked than anything.

"I didn't want Eric or the others finding out." Tobias stood up and hit Zeke back. From his expression Zeke understood why.

"You were waiting for me?" I asked Zeke.

"Yea, we started together and when we became close he told me about you. I'm disappointed that I didn't catch the resemblance sooner. You guys kinda look alike now that I know" All I could do is smiled. I knew Tobias had to separate himself from Abnegation, but at least he didn't forget me. "Uriah are you not gonna say anything?" he teased.

"I'm glad you're here." He stood up and hugged me too. "For Four's sake"

"Hey hands where we can see them!" Zeke called out. I laughed at how red Uriah turned.

"Uriah that reminds me, let's take a walk" Tobias put his arm and they walked away toward the ledge.

"What are they talking about?"

"Four is probably threatening him" Zeke said nonchalantly. "He has a crush on you, you know?" Zeke grinned.

"I figured something was up." I laughed.

"Usually Four wouldn't have said anything, but after initiation at dinner before he called you over, Uriah had told us 'The first jumper is ridiculously hot for a stiff, I would definitely take the first jump on her. I'm in love with her already.'" I shot him a questioning look. "Ok he didn't say that last part, but you get the idea" He admitted. "I'm pretty sure if he didn't treat Uriah as a little brother he'd probably push him off the ledge."

"Wow" I said as Tobias and Uriah returned. Uriah was obviously uncomfortable, but I didn't know if it was from the talk or the way Tobias was gripping his neck.

"Good boy" Tobias had smacked Uriah's back.

"Ok enough" I said it was getting late. "Uriah walk me back to the dorms?"

"Yea sure" He looked at Tobias one more time as we walked away.

"Hands boy! Watch them!" Zeke called as the roof door closed.

"I'm sorry about my brother." I finally said as we reached the bottom of the stairs.

"It's fine I know he's joking" Uriah his hands in his pockets

"If I know my brother, he's not" I said and glanced at him. He was tall and strong. His complexion complemented his features. I would be lying if I said I didn't find him attractive. "So I'm ridiculously hot for a stiff?"

"I am going to kill Zeke." Uriah groaned. I started to laugh. "What else did he tell you?" he asked nervously.

"Something about a first jump and you're already in love with me."

"I didn't say the last part!" he defended. "I am going to kill him and make it look like an accident" He shook his head in his hands when we reached the door of the dormitory.

"It's ok" I pulled his hands away from his face. "If you hadn't pulled me into the train I'd probably wouldn't be here." I smiled. "But if you value your life don't talk about me to Tobias" I laughed. "Thanks for walking me back" I stood on the balls of my feet to hug him. "I'll see you tomorrow" I opened the door and waved at Uriah one last time.