14. Just A Trim

The next morning we all walked into the training room exhausted from last night. There were targets lined up against the wall and a table with knives off to the side. Eric told us that tomorrow was the last day of stage one and revealed the new rankings. I scanned for everyone's names from the bottom up. Everyone I knew was safe, and then I looked for my name.

2. Theo

I was number 2. I grinned as Will and Al gave me pats on the back. Tobias was half smiling and Eric was watching him. We were instructed to start throwing knives after Tobias showed us how. From observing everyone almost immediately Tris showed an affinity for throwing knives. Tobias came behind me and instructed how to hold it and what position it needed to be. I glanced over and Eric was watching I shook my head slightly. Tobias face registered what I had done. He moved on and showed Myra what he just went over with me. We were really good at reading each other. I put my knives down on the table and started walking away. When I passed Eric he stood in front of me.

"Where are you going?" He kept his face neutral.

"The bathroom" I tried to walk around him but he caught my arm.

"You can wait."

"I'm not a dog, I don't go on command" I pushed past from him and went to the bathroom. When I came back out everyone had stopped throwing knives and Al was in front of the target.

"You're going to stand there as he throws knives' Eric motioned to Tobias picking up knives. "Until you learn not to flinch". There was no way Al could make it. Eric was just upset and taking it out Al. I had reached the group and pushed myself to the front. Al was visibly nervous and tried to control his shaking. Tobias readied his arm.

"Stop it" Tris spoke up. She sunk back immediately regretting speaking up.

"Yes?" Eric prompted and we all looked at her.

"Any idiot can stand in front of a target, it doesn't mean anything." I said.

"Then you should have no problem taking his place" Eric had motioned toward Al. I shot a glance at Al who gave me a thankful look. I had become proud of Tris and how brave she had become even this small outburst. She was fitting into her new life and embracing it. I looked at Tobias and he was calm. There was no one else in the world who I trusted more than Tobias. He nodded and threw the first knife. It landed by my right hand.

"Oh you can do better than that Four." Eric prompted. Tobias smirked. The next knife landed above my head.

"Come on Four."

"Want me give her a trim?" Tobias looked at Eric.

"Just a bit off the top." Eric caught my gaze. I watched as Tobias's knife landed on the side of my head. I felt blood from my ear drip and sting at the touch. "Points for bravery Theo, but not as much as lost for talking back" Eric chastised me. "We train soldiers, not rebels." He picked up a knife and played with it. "We're done for today." I started to walk back to the group. "Not you" He held out his hand stopping me form moving any further. I watched everyone give me glances. I'm sure they were curious after last night's games. "Training tonight"

After dinner my body was dead when I walked into the training room and collapsed on the floor. I didn't even move a muscle when I heard the door open. My arms and legs were outstretched like a starfish and I had made my peace with dying.

"Get up" a boot kicked my foot.

"I can't" I kept my eyes closed.

"Why?" Eric sounded annoyed.

"Because I'm dead, obviously" I gestured with my hands.

"What was that whole speech the other day about not wasting time"