Chapter 12: Roka Ceremony

🎵Baraat🎵 (Ritviz)

There was anything but peace here

In the 4000sq feet drawing room of Singhania Rihaayashi, the preparations for bhai's and Niharika's Roka ceremony were on full swing.

The floor was almost invisible due to scattered rose gold chiffon curtains and huge white and pink flowers. A man stood next to the stage on an iron ladder, he was hanging tassels of mixed small white flowers and dark green leaves. A small vintage chandelier was hung in between the fake flower tassels.

Another man was fixing the curtains which were hung next to fake grass bed behind the stage. A few people were bringing real red rose petals in bamboo baskets. A house-help was cleaning the the floor reaching window. And at last, the wedding planner stood there with a notebook in her hand and pen stuck on top of her ear.

The decorations were almost done, on the stage an expensive looking, gold coloured faux fur carpet was laid on. On that, a vintage settee was kept for groom and bride to sit on.

I was going to the hotel we're staying in, to get ready for the function.

"Roshni! Roshni!" Mahika's mother's loud voice made stop on my track, to the way out.

"Yeah chachi?" I turned back to see her standing with a fancy plate which was covered with a red cloth with golden border around it.

"Roshni, are you going somewhere?" She waggled her brows up and down, taking a complete look at my outfit she had her eyes almost out of their sockets, "you aren't ready yet?" She slapped a hand over her mouth and shook her head. Dramatic much!

Taking a look at my own attire, which consisted of cream turtle neck, blue baggy jeans Adidas shoes and this expensive overcoat, my dress up was anything but something that she has to make such expressions."I was going to the hotel, to get ready." I unknowingly pressed on the last part.

"Why?" Before I could answer for question, she once again spoke up, "what's the need to go, you can get ready in your bedroom." My bedroom, yeah sure.

"Bhai wouldn't like it." Neither am I liking the idea. I vividly remember how you were the only one who was the most delighted when I was going away with Bhai. I can clearly recall how this almost 100 roomed estate seemed small to you and my room which I would be leaving behind made you feel like now you got so much of space, extra space. Since the extra person would be leaving.

The wetness in my eyes was beginning to drop and any moment I would have busted out crying. Not wanting her to see me cry I left out of the huge doors to our car, I waited for bhai to come.

I quickly dried my eyes so that bhai also don't see my breakdown. I have my tears from both of them for totally different reasons. I couldn't fall weak in front of her, that she and her daughter could have mocked me later and in front of him, I don't want him to feel guilty that in his absence I was crying, and his guilt of not taking me with him earlier.