Chapter 40- Everything's Fine?

🎵Sham🎵

With trembling hands, I pulled my cupboard's drawer open

With trembling hands, I pulled my cupboard's drawer open. Fishing out my blue glittery wallet, I tugged out the black Mastercard. "He didn't ask for it. He didn't ask for it." He never did, still I mumbled it to myself. That nightmare was terrible as a dream, I can't make it actually happen in in my life. I was never here- with my brother for money, for luxury. I'd plenty of this in Shimla. I was here for his love, for him.

In Shimla, my aunts and uncles loved me, grandfather and cousins cared for me. But still, I was no ones. I was loved just like someone would love their own daughter. I was loved just like someone would love their own sister. But there, I wasn't loved as someone's sister. I wasn't loved as someone's daughter.

With my brother leaving for his higher education and my dad getting remarried and moving, I'd forgotten what being love meant. My brother bringing me with him, redefined love for me. I can't go through all that again, what my five year old self had been through. Returning my brother his credit card even though he never asked for it, will be the least effort I could done for my own-self. Perhaps, Niharika won't have a thing to provoke him against me. Not that he'd fall for her words, but..... I can't really take any chances.

With timid steps, I reached to the study, my hand rested on the the golden handle of its door. To open or not, my mind asked. The hushed voices reminded me, not only my brother had called Anita and Niharika here for some conversation which probably related to my nightmare and he probably didn't want me to be here. Also, if I, out of the blue, hand him this card, it will just create more issues.

"This is the very last time I'm asking, what happened while I wasn't here?" Yelled my brother, rage prominent in his voice. My hand left the hold of the lever and went to my throbbing heart.

"Mr Singhania, trust me everything was fine. I don't think anything that could've triggered Roshni's dream." My sister in law spoke, her voice was higher than usual.

A few moments of silence echoed, "Anita, something different you noticed?" Asked my brother, his tone hard and cold as ever but at least he wasn't shouting. Though, I couldn't make what she was saying, but I hear the quite voice of Anita, "alright. If I find out the thing that triggered her nightmare is something you and Niharika you, are aware of, then I swear, it's not going to end well." I pulled down the lever, making everyone aware of my presence. Moving inside was fine than having my brother threaten them.

"Bhai."

"What are you doing here, beta?" His voice softened, he nodded at Anita- who left the room with a small word of gratitude.

"Bhai, I needed to talk to you. If you're free." I whispered the last part. I felt, I always wasted his precious time, again, he never complained. However, it seemed to me, as if Niharika again, wasn't pleased with this. Perhaps, she wasn't displeased with me wasting his husband's time, rather her displeasure was associated with, me talking to him. Niharika isn't the villain of my life, I was just preventing her from becoming the one.