Chapter 22

Link's POV:

My eyes opened abruptly and I took a sharp intake of breath. I felt a sense of panic, my last memory being of practically handing myself over to Lynax. I sat up to see Zelda beside me, with the same look of panic etched across her face. Her eyes locked with mine, and her chest heaved with every breath. I turned to examine my surroundings, only to see strange blue patterns, much like those of the Twili, floating in the air. They were moving upwards and fading away as they touched the ceiling. I was in my house. 

"Why are they here? Is it a sign?" Zelda said, sitting up and watching them. 

"Is it Midna?" I asked, fixated. Watching these elaborate patterns move through thin air was quite theraputic. 

"Oh godesses, no.." I heard Zelda mutter. I turned to her to see her shaking her head in disbelief.

"What? What is it?" I grabbed her shoulder, shaking her slightly, urging her to reply.

"It's all coming back to me... I was under dark influences, tremendous power.. she must have sacrificed herself, taken all of the power out of me and.." She buried her head in her hands. I let what Zelda had said sink in, staring at nothing for a while. All the memories I shared with Midna flashed through my mind in an instant, and I found myself at a complete loss for words. Zelda looked up at me, her cheeks stained with tears, before wrapping her arms around my neck and embracing me for what felt like decades.

Later, we had sat down together to try and figure out the whole picture. We hadn't worked out why I was here in Ordon when I had been at the fortress just before. We didn't know what to do or feel, or how to deal with this situation. We didn't know what was going to happen next.

"So, you say I was at the Zoras before you brought me here, then you left to find Lynax and Midna stayed here with me." Zelda repeated what I had established.

"Yes. Then, Lynax asked me if I was prepared to die for you-"

"What? And you said yes?!"

"Well, I followed him into-"

"Link! You utter fool!" Zelda scolded, pushing me slightly as if to let out her frustration, "You're supposed to be intelligent! He just wanted you to say yes so that he could claim both of our lives!" 

"Zelda, I'm sorry. I love you. It's taken me too long to admit it, but I love you. Just the thought of you laying here in this pathetic little house, fighting off all that magic, I just- I just panicked, okay?" Zelda's glistening eyes found mine and a single tear fell down her cheek. She sniffed and smiled.

"I love you, Link. You've brought some happiness after all these horrific events in our lives."