Chapter 30

The funeral was astonishing. Initially, I hadn't wanted it to be a public occassion, but I was encouraged by Hyrule to do so. The entirety of the Kingdom came, it seemed, however I saw very few residents from Ordon. I dismissed it and thought that they probably hadn't got wind of the news yet. Link was buried in the courtyard of the Castle, and it was decided that people could come and visit his grave if they wished to do so. His headstone was elaborate, and I knew he wouldn't have wanted this. He would have wanted everyone to continue as normal, not wasting time mourning over his death. He wanted everyone to be safe. But the truth is, I didn't feel safe anymore. Without Link, my paranoia was debilitating. I needed my maids with me as often as they could manage, and the anxiety I experienced on a day-to-day basis was crippling. I didn't feel alive anymore. I spent most of my time sat at his grave, talking to no one, crying to no one, willing him to come back into my life. I could imagine what his reaction would be if he was able to communicate with me.

"Zelda, stop it! You're a strong woman who's got a Kingdom to run. Go and do it!"

These thoughts only fueled my sadness more. I knew that my people would allow me time to mourn, and I intended to do it. I had no idea how I was going to cope without Link, and at that time I wasn't coping. At all.