Chapter 26

Later that day, I decided I should actually attend dinner for the first time in a few days. Zelda, when she'd been able to see me, had been practically begging me to eat properly again. I was on my way down the large corridor when Zelda rushed out of one of the doorways, bumping into me.

"I need to talk to you." We both said at the same time. I looked down at her, startled, and she grabbed my hand and pulled me into the small room she had appeared out of.

"What is it?" I asked worriedly. Why was she so stressed?

"I never wanted this event to happen like this in my life, but we need to marry." She said quickly. Staring at the floor, as if she was embarrassed. I had no idea what to say.

I grabbed her hand and tilted her chin so she was looking at me. "Zelda, of course I'll marry you. There is no one else I'd rather spend the rest of my life with. But why are you so worried about it?" Her wide eyes continued to stare into mine for a few seconds, before they returned to the ground.

"Because I know that you don't want to be the king, and everything is going so fast.." She replied quietly, a sad tone to her voice. Initially, I was shocked. I never even gave that prospect a thought. Me? A king? What happened to me being an unknown goat herder in a tiny village called Ordon?

"Zelda." I said, prompting her eyes to shoot back to mine again. "Nothing will ever stop me from loving you. I would do anything as long as it meant I could be with you and keep you safe." Zelda smiled briefly, a single tear rolling down her cheek. 

"Link, thank you. For everything you have ever done for me."

"This leads me on to what I needed to talk to you about. You can't thank me yet, because you still aren't safe."

"Of course I'm safe, I'm with yo-"

"You are not safe as long as Lynax exists."

"And you are not going to find him." She said sternly.

"It's the only way, Zelda."

"We can send in our army! We have hundreds of men willing to fight for this kingdom." 

"And I am one man that has done this before and is not willing to risk hundreds of people's lives when I could only risk mine." 

"Link, I can't lose you. I can't let you go." She muttered, her tears staining her cheeks.

"Zelda, I would rather die than face living without you. Lynax is going to either use you again, or kill you. He must be dealt with. I can't live without you."