Chapter 23

We'd eventually worked out, after I remembered passing out, that Lynax must have possessed me, too, and sent me to get Zelda. We didn't know if that was the right story, but it was the best we had. We'd spent a couple of days in Ordon, trying to recover from all that we'd been through.

"Link, come to the castle with me." Zelda said one day as we sat in the field, taking my hands in hers.

"Zelda, Hyrule Castle is no place for someone like me. Unless I'm in there rescuing you." I replied, remembering that fateful battle. Zelda giggled.

"Don't be silly. You saved the castle and the entire Kingdom. You deserve to be there. Plus, I need to see my mother, it's been so long."

I sighed. "Fine, but don't expect me to settle in as if it's my home. You know that's not me."

"Of course." 

I started to stand up. "Link?" I heard behind me. I turned to face her. "We can.. do the memorial service in the courtyard." She said quietly, her eyes averted to the grass. I nodded before moving towards her and enveloping her in my embrace.

We set off that afternoon, actually. Rather than bothering with one of the old, weathered carraiges we had in Ordon, Zelda and I just used Epona to reach Castle Town. It was nearly time for the sky to darken, but we made it to the main entrance safely. As I slowed Epona down to move through the gates, I saw that Castle Town wasn't bustling, as it usually would be at this time. There were people, sure, but the happy atmosphere was not present. I blamed that on the after effects of the recent attack. 

"Link?" Zelda whispered, her breath tickling the back of my neck. I tilted my head to show I was listening, "What's going on? People are giving me strange looks."

"Maybe they don't recognise you." I suggested.

"Well then why are they taking their hats off?"

I looked around and, indeed, residents were removing their hats and giving small bows, seemingly towards Zelda. 

"Well, it can't be for Midna.." I thought out loud. Suddenly, Zelda dismounted Epona.

"I'm going to the castle. Go and find a stable for Epona and meet me there." She said quickly before almost jogging away. I did as she asked and made my way to the castle.