Chapter 5

I was shaken awake by Rusl. His concerned face loomed over me and was the first thing I saw after groggily opening my eyes. 

"What are you two doing out here?" He asked, pulling me up into a sitting position. I rubbed my eyes and looked over at Zelda, who was lying at my side. We must have fallen asleep. "Link? It gets cold out here at night! That was dangerous." 

"We were out talking, must have fallen asleep." I yawned. Rusl responded with a sigh. I shrugged back at him. "Sorry." 

"Dont apologise. Just be careful, Link. Not only was it cold, anything could have came and grabbed you." He glanced at Zelda briefly, before flicking his eyes back to me. He had a knowing look on his face. I cocked an eyebrow, but he walked away. I turned and tapped Zelda's shoulder. Her eyes opened, blinking a few times, a flickering light in a dark room. 

"Hey. We fell asleep." I informed her as she sat up. 

"Oh, goodness." She looked worried, immediately looking around the village. 

"Whats wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing."

"You don't feel safe here." I stated.

She scoffed. "Let me ask you, Link. Do you feel safe? Do you feel safe anywhere?" 

I avoided her eyes. She promptly stood up and marched away. Her words rang in my ears. I felt bad for saying such a thing to her, so ignorant to her struggles that I experienced simultaneously. I sighed and stood up myself, not following Zelda but instead going up to the ranch to help Fado with the goats.

I had been distracted for the entire day, struggling to complete simple tasks and often staring at nothing whilst thinking about everything. That night I had gone to my house to find Zelda already upstairs. I lay down on the area of floor that was my bed and attempted to sleep. No matter what I thought about, my mind always managed to find Zelda's voice.

Let me ask you, Link. Do you feel safe? Do you feel safe anywhere?

No, I didn't.

A/N: Lots of updates today, sorry if theyre short and seem rushed!