Chapter 33 - Finale

A few weeks later, it was time for my coronation as Queen of Hyrule. Of course, I wasn't at all ready. I'd been put into my best dress, and I had to go out onto the balcony in front of everybody. This was my first official public appearance since Link's death, and I knew that I wasn't going to enjoy it as I always used to. 

"Your highness? Please step out now." Someone called at me. I hitched up my dress to ascend the few stairs that took me to the large doors leading out onto the balcony. I felt sick. My head was spinning.

I stepped out, the sun covering me instantly. I saw a few people stood on the balcony, one of them holding my crown. There were always two thrones on this balcony, one for the King and one for the Queen. I couldn't face looking at the empty one that was supposed to be occupied by Link on this day. I realised that I'd been stood in front of everyone for a while now, just staring around the balcony, and the clapping from my audience had died down. Someone I didn't know was signalling for me to sit in my throne. I gulped and did so. I heard a man begin reading something, but I completely switched off. 

My whole body ached, I was exhausted, and my entire being was yearning for Link to be sat in the throne next to me, being crowned as the King of Hyrule. That's what he deserved to be. I missed him so much, and I was never going to see him ever again.

"I love you, Zelda."

Suddenly, there was an uproar among the audience. My expression remained blank as a single tear rolled over my cheek and the crown was placed on my head.

A/N: AAAAH! The end of my first proper story! I can't believe it's finished. I want to say a final huge thank you to all of you for supporting me and this story and reading, voting and commenting. I never ever thought that something I had written would get over 5 thousand reads! Also, not a happy ending for this one, but I felt that this story needed to focus on how Link and Zelda's lives were changed forever by what happened in Twilight Princess, and that the torment was 'Endless' :)

Again, thank you all so much, I hope to see you all in my next story! xxx