Chapter 80 ~ Something Familiar

Mirko and Crucifero, along with Marco and Rolando's mate, were all locked up in the Alpha office, drawing up a strategy for taking care of the refugees, all women and children.

The sight was heart-scattering. There were several cases of malnutrition and respiratory diseases such as pneumonia.

A few had reported HIV and other sexual diseases usually common in humans but a rarity in the werewolf world.

All of them had lice, ticks and leeches.

Worst of all was the long-term psychological trauma of being used repeatedly by heartless and soulless savages.

According to the information gathered, the rogues, under the orders of Alpha Ciro, were planning to create an unbeatable army and conquer the surrounding packs. Apparently, the evil Alpha who was now rotting in the bowels of the Underworld had planned everything long before he was captured and had worked out a secondary emergency plan in case he fell into enemy hands.

Gamma Rolando was investigating in case anyone else was involved and helped from the darkness.

Before heading back, in between moments of burning passion and sugary cuddles, Mirko and Elena had briefly chatted about her transfer to Mirko's pack, her desire to get an online degree in psychology, and the right time to do everything. Mirko, as wonderful as ever when it came to his mate, was open to anything and just wanted her to be comfortable. However, Elena knew he needed her, beside him, as his Luna. And to think that she hadn't even entered the Black Devil pack house once!

Finally, the two had agreed that she would move in with him within a couple of weeks.

No one had ever heard of a Black Devil's Luna. For centuries, it was only the Alpha that ruled hordes of black devils without mates. Their people had grown up with the idea of a Luna-less pack, despite the mates being accepted since Mirko became the new Alpha.

The weight and responsibility on Elena's shoulders were more than immense. Complicated. As complicated as carrying the ocean on your back. Fortunately she had undergone to an intensive training under her mother and father since she was a kid and knew well what a Luna's duties were. But a Black Devil's Luna? That was a different story. Would they really accept and hear her out?

The fact that Marco would be there at her side and that the Gamma's mate was a human somehow relaxed her. Even though neither Marco nor the human were very involved with the rest of the pack. More than anything else they acted as advisers, in private. As well as keeping the two beasts (their mates) at bay, of course.

In that late afternoon, after hours at the Betas' residence with her friends, Elena was returning to Full Moon.

Ready to face two furious parents since she had been absent for a whole week.

Mirko, who had no intentions of spending another night without Elena at his side, promised that would join her after the meeting and after dealing with other issues that had occurred in his absence.

Vaguely, Mirko had also mentioned a personal bodyguard he would assign to her. This would follow Elena wherever she went, from the moment she was officially announced as his Luna. Mirko would have preferred to assign Barbaricus from that very moment but doubted Alpha Giacomo and the other Full Moons would be happy with that sort of wolf roaming in their territory.

So, there she was. Returning to her pack. Completely alone in the darkening wood, following the familiar path winding through the greyish trees.

Obviously Mirko had ordered some guards to follow her and make sure she would arrive intact, given her history and impulsiveness. However she had reassured him that Rex would be with her. And she didn't even feel guilty for lying to her ultra protective mate.